Cleaned my Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:37 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jslindst
Guys,

I would recommend against using carb cleaner. You should use a product that is specifically for cleaning throttle bodies because most throttle body have a coating inside to slowdown the build-up of deposits inside. Most(not all) carb cleaners will remove the coating leading causing the deposits to comeback quicker. IMO its not worth saving $1 or $2 to risk it. Its also good to take your car on a road trip(30 miles or so) to ensure that all the cleaner is sucked through the throttle body, intake manifold passages and into the combustion chambers. Some of these cleaners(even throttle body cleaners) can eat through gaskets in the intake system if they soak into them for too long. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jeff
Nothing in the intake track, including the throttlebody is coated with anything. In addition, read the content lable of these products...the only difference is the label.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashingBlade
.....How do you open the throttle if it's an e-throttle?
I'm not sure if this was right, but I just opened it by hand. Oh and by the way, I had a socket that was the perfect size to hold it open while I swabbed the inside of the throttle body with my cleaning tool.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes + will many times reset your CEL.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes + will many times reset your CEL.
I wonder if it is good to restart a car's computer periodically just like restarting a PC tends to make it work better...?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Fish, your car looks great in the new photo in your sig.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nycebo
Fish, your car looks great in the new photo in your sig.
Thanks Nycebo! I updated my signature for Spring by adding the picture of my car in 'photoshopped rain'. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

anyone knife edge their throttle body or butterfly valve? i had done this to my wrx and noticed some gains in throttle response, possibly due to the smoothed out airflow from the throttle body and the flap being smoothed out. i just used a grinder on an air compressor to do it, then used some polishing compound to a mirror finish.

i think there can be some noticable gains if you smooth the throttle body where the leading edge meets the intake hose, but i'm just too afraid to mess with a porsche part. though i am out of warranty....
Old 04-14-2006, 06:22 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Fish, I cleaned my throttle body, air intake, and MAF sensor today and I am happy to report that everything is running great. I just finished a one hour drive back to the city and did not get a CEL. That said, when I cleaned the throttle body and MAF, the engine was still somewhat warm. Moreover, I let the car sit for well over two hours before starting it up again and driving away to ensure that there wasn't any liquid residue that hadn't evaporated.

Net net, the car is noticeably smoother. It's really crazy, I mean, it feels like new. The throttle was crisp and responsive and the car was idling in a much more orderly fashion. As this was my first time doing so, I won't hesitate to do it again when I change the oil.

FTR, I used the CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and 3M's throttle body cleaner.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

That's awesome. As the fuel injection cleaner is working through my system, I have my car to where the erratic idle is almost gone. I'll definitely clean the throttle body at least once a year from now on.

Quick Reply: Cleaned my Throttle Body