Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a good site to measure your network against other people in your area

www.networthiq.com
Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

House first, rent is like pouring money down the toilet. If for no other reason than taxes, house first. Porsche, when you (not your parents) can afford it. Took me years to get my first one, I'm with Rick about the twenty-something kids with all 'their' net worth, get out the compazine.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is short.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Right!

We need to talk.. I've been looking for some ATL property.

Originally Posted by Andy (Atlanta)
I own 13 houses. 1 primary, 1 vacation and the rest are investment. I am a firm believer in using OPM to finance my P-car habit. The down side is being a landlord and having a full time job can be a PITA.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
House first, rent is like pouring money down the toilet. If for no other reason than taxes, house first. Porsche, when you (not your parents) can afford it. Took me years to get my first one, I'm with Rick about the twenty-something kids with all 'their' net worth, get out the compazine.

whats a compazine?

i'm a twenty-something kid who moved out 10 years ago with no financial backing

not everyone has an aversion to living independantly
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
bimmerbob
Advanced

Thumbs up

Buy a house, get an equity loan and then buy the pcar using the equity of your home. Any interest you pay on the equity loan is tax deductable (it's like a 2nd mortage). Payments are also cheaper.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerbob
Buy a house, get an equity loan and then buy the pcar using the equity of your home. Any interest you pay on the equity loan is tax deductable (it's like a 2nd mortage). Payments are also cheaper.
Only up to $100,000 is deductable. IMO, autos should be bought with cash only. If you don't have the cash, don't buy the car.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Only up to $100,000 is deductable. IMO, autos should be bought with cash only. If you don't have the cash, don't buy the car.
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. If you could get more ROI than the interest on the loan, or you own a business and lease the car through the corporation you'd be better off not paying for the car in cash.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
mjet
Instructor

I surprised at some of the responses in this tread. I thought P Car owners were more savy with thier $$$$$$$.......
Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by riad
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. If you could get more ROI than the interest on the loan, or you own a business and lease the car through the corporation you'd be better off not paying for the car in cash.

Yup, although I don't know about the benefits of leasing so much, if I can get a return of 30% cash on cash from property investments or save 5.5% a year on a car note, i know which i would rather do
Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Here here. Leverage (debt) is what allows the economy to grow. Apply Dead's logic, most people would have to rent for 30 years before buying a house.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Buy house, renovate like crazy (to her liking), landscape (for her), furnish it (for her), pay it off completely... then and only then buy a porsche (with her approval and encouragement of course! )= perfect recipe for a happy marriage and p-car ownership experience.
Let's face it gents, if it wasn't for the women in our lives we'd all be driving AND living in really nice cars!
what a ***** you are. desperate for a woman to like you much?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Savvy

Originally Posted by mjet
I surprised at some of the responses in this tread. I thought P Car owners were more savy with thier $$$$$$$.......
You do not get off that easy, what is Savy to you.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I agree with Riad. If you can lease the P-car for business purposes there are tax advantages to doing so that usually make that a better option than paying cash.
In my case I waited a long time for my first P-car and didn't get one until i was in my mid 50's! It has been a great father-son joy as we do track events together etc. My son helped me pick out the car and he helps me take care of it. The experience is priceless. Having this car is no financial burden at this point in my life and if the P-car expense would impact family budget, house, vacations or ______________(fill in the blank) I wouldn't do it. So for me it's house first.
But to be completely honest, if I worked my whole life, invested as best I could and woke up one day being mid 50's and I still couldn't afford the P car I'd probably buy one anyway.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Miguel
Pro

Does any one around here own, or lease, fur coats? And if the answer is positive, could we have a sort of statistic if same were purchased, or leased, before or after p-cars? what would be the pros and cons of before or after p-car?

Quick Reply: 996 Owners: Do you Rent or Own a house?