996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

accident - body shop in san diego ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 AM
siddharth
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy accident - body shop in san diego ?

Hi guys,

Well, sh** happens. Taking the onramp and suddenly find there is a stationary car (Honda Accord???) in front of me !! I brake (gently and carefully!) but the car begins to rotate and swiftly loses ALL traction. The car slides off, turn 200 degrees, driver headlight/bumper hits guard rail and I come to a stop - some 20 feet and 270 degrees from point of impact. While I've tried to avoid the car in the front, that guy gets moving and it gone. No impact between the two cars, just me and the railing. F****ng moron driver in the Accord...

Conditions : Raining, downhill decreasing radius 270 degree onramp, carrera C2, at 25 mph with a great set of tyres. About 50 minutes back.

Damage : Minor-medium. Bumper scratches, 2" crack on bumper corner, driver headlight smashed, very minor damage on the front-left panel. Very little damage from what I thought from inside the car during it. And oh, one bent guard rail !

Nobody was injured. Girlfriend freaked out a bit during the accident but totally understandable. No injuries - thank god !

I was totally stunned that I lost control as such slow speeds. I tried everything within that split second - but it didn't help. The road was too slippery and the onramp was too narrow for much evasive action. Plus I had almost zero traction. Rear bias + aqua planing = not good.

Its my first accident - ever - and I've been told that I drive very well - by other enthusiastic porsche drivers too ... now I'm doubting that .

Anyway, tomorrow the insurance company will be towing the car to an appropriate place for repair work/assessment. I wanted some recommendations for some of the best body shops in San Deigo. I want the work to be done by some of the best people doing this for a living in this town. Maybe some of you have heard of them before ?

Please email me (sshetye at qualcomm dot com ), PM me or reply here with the good stuff.

Thanks guys,
Sid

Last edited by siddharth; 04-10-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sid - I can't help with a San Diego body shop reference, but I did want to say 1) I am glad no one was injured, and 2) I am sorry to hear that you damaged the P-car. Good luck on the repair.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Sam H.
Intermediate

I've used Amato's on Sorrento Valley Road, they have a great reputation and work only on newer high-line cars. They agreed to work on my '88 928 only because it was in excellent condition. Usually, they only work on 2002 models and newer.

After a minor mis-hap when an Expedition backed-up over my front right quarter, they replaced most of the quarter, including the headlight. The tab to the other driver's insurance company was over $7,000. I wasn't thrilled with their attention to detail. They put the fog lights in upside-down. But a lot of people swear by them.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Siddarth,

Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad that no one was injured. For body shops in San Diego, I used Autowerks Philip Thearle's (for a bimmer) and was very happy with the result and a lot of people swear by it. They work mainly on hi-end cars. I also heard good things about Amato's and West Coast speciaties (Pioneer reco) but have no first hand's experience.

Good luck and hope the repair goes well.

- Ahsai
Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
snaproll
Instructor

West Coast Specialties, 7686 Formula Place, 858 549-8226.

Got rear ended three months after we got the Carrera - no structural damage but the rear bumper cap needed replacing. West Coast did a perfect match on the paint (slate grey).

Some time later our MDX got it's rear bumper dinged - again, perfect paint match (granite green) and repair by West Coast.

I'm hoping not to be using them anytime soon, but they're the only place I'll go from now on.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:07 PM
siddharth
Track Day

Thanks guys !! The car is with West Coast Specialties. Ryan (the manager there - porsche guy) will be doing damage assesment later on - the insurance guy already checked it out. Waiting to hear from both.

BTW, the place looks like a Porsche Hospital with all kinda of porsche everywhere. These guys are supposedly the only guys who get factory manuals from Porsche and have been working on Porsche's for over 19 years. Also recommended by PCA San Diego Region members.

Among the non-porsche's seen ...
Lamborghini Gallardo
Acura NSX
Mercedes E???
Corvette C5

I guess these guys work well to have gained that much trust. I'll keep you guys posted.

"Its only a car"
Sid

Quick Reply: accident - body shop in san diego ?