996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST?? PSE OR FABSPEED

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borrowed for another board might help you. If you want it to sound like a ferrari add 6 more cylinders.

well I did the install yesterday.. prettys stratight forward, but I love the sound so much more! night and day difference! I will post up a driving video soon!

with cats
http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-with-Cats89

fabspeed setup
http://media.putfile.com/cat-bypass

car has fabspeed headers, and I BELIEVE fabspeed exhaust (already installed when I bought the car. MY inital experience... my car sideways a little easier than before, I can def. feel a low end difference when it pulls! and it seems to go through the RPM range faster! DEF worth the install
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Can someone fill me in on this PSE switch? I've never heard of a muffler having electronics involved.
marlinspike - The PSE exhaust "cans" have a an electronically controlled vacuum actuator that opens or closes a baffle (or flap) in an "extra” pipe that stock exhaust can don't have.

The first pic shows the stock exhaust cans. The top can is stock, while the lower can has been modified (or hacked) to simulate the PSE sound by adding the "extra" pipe. The second pic shows the PSE exhaust cans with the vacuum valve. Also notice the "extra" pipe in the second pic.

Without the electronic wiring and switch, the PSE is always ON (loud mode). With the electronic wiring and switch, the PSE can be turned OFF (quiet) or ON (loud).

There is one more wrinkle... with the switch and the PSE ON, there is a speed sensitive "cut off" mode that will revert the PSE to quiet mode between 25 to 40 MPH. Presumably, this was done to enable PSE to comply with noise ordinances in various countries. This automatic "cut off" can be overridden or bypassed in a couple of ways (neither of which I will cover here). Once the bypass has been completed, then you simply have the potion for ON (loud) or OFF (quiet).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Attached Images   
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicolas, just go to one of the next Porsche gatherings. You are bound to hear the PSE and the Fabs in person. If you're lucky, you'll also here the Rufs, Cargraphics, and the Kreissig (which sounds like an F1 car...almost too loud). Then, you can pick what suits you best. These audio files just don't do it justice. Frankly, the ultimate would be getting a ride in each of the cars to hear them at speed.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Adding the Fabspeed changes the whole dynamic of the car - it just sounds wicked.

It snarls when you initially give it gas, it sounds low and mean all through the rev range at WOT, and it doesn't drone on the freeway.

It is, hands down, the best way to spend a thousand bucks on your Porsche.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Only heard fabspeed once, and decided to install PSE mufflers only myself.

I will _never_ go back to stock cans again. PSE is ultimative the best mod you can do to the car
Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

PSE - awesome porsche sound

Fabspeed - american muscle car sound with possibility of resonance

I got mine off a rennlister used, been great!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you right nutbeem..thought about this Yesterday night...PCA has a Porsche meeting every 1st Saturday of the month in Orange County, CA....this would be the best way.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes

Muffler? We don't need no stinkin' muffler!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Of all the exhausts I've had/experienced (PSE,Fabs,Fab bypass pipes,GHLreg,GHLloud,stockC4S), the Fabs were clearly the best sounding, fitting, and quality. The only question is the country of origin, maybe important, maybe meaningless, who knows.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I am with you Andy...but I don't think the neighborhood or wife will be very excited.....and I don't know if the sound is to muscle car like....I think I have heard a P without the bypass pipes and it sounded like a muscle car.....i think I prefer more throaty....but I have to admit that the P sounded straight from a racetrack and it was about 1/2 mile away!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
peachboy
Racer

There is absolutely no resonance with my Fabspeed. Can't speak for others. The problem I had with PSE is that my dealer wanted to charge me an insane amout to install even without the switch.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

No brainer: Install them yourself.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
peachboy
Racer

You are giving me way too much credit .
I can take my dirt bikes aoarts but I have a mental block when it comes to fiddling with my car.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
4s
Instructor

Nicolaas-I'm in Newport and have the PSE if you want to hear them let me know. IMO they sound great.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

thanks 4s that would be great..I am in Huntington Beach..so you are really next door...let me know when you have time,

Nicolaas

Quick Reply: BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST?? PSE OR FABSPEED