Sponsored by:

996 "Structure Creaks"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. I thought I responded.

Another project for the list. I'm not sure if taking the lids off and fiddling with them will solve the problem, b/c they rattle against their seats. I'm afraid felt tape will turn to a sticky mess over time.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep...you responded...I was asking Paul if he got the schematic I sent him on the side vent...

There is such a small amount of 'stickum' on the tape that it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Did you get my email about the side vent cover with diagram?
Jim, I emailed you back several times and the emails keep getting returned.

My noise isn't coming from the side vent covers. When I get the replacement defroster cover, I'm going to go to the dealer and ride with the guy so that he understands what sound I'm talking about. It's supposed to rain here all week, so that may make it difficult to isolate though.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The factory book I have has several bulletins, (probably like 20 or so) just for squeaks and some there is no bulletins for, the one noise I didn't see mentioned in the post is for the side rear windows, the glass can contact the metal rivets on the body side seal and squeak. but it is up to having a good tech know the books and bulletins and the cars. I went to an independant shop as I got sick of seeing the dealers hiring hack Jiffy lube, grease monkeys, who shouldn't be holding a wrench, giving them $10 an hour to "fix" problems, usually they create more squeaks and rattles than they fix when tearing your dash out to fix the squeaking knee bar, then I have to go back and fix their work, then the customer (you) is pissed because (and rightfully so) it wasn't done right the first time, or got worse.. The dealers just don't want to pay the good techs what they are worth to keep them. I like squeaks they are pretty easy to fix and you get to the point where you know what it is just from the sound it makes when you go for a ride with the customer.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
mmcmilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by saveur2
I have a 996T, but I also have the same problem that you guys have too. I'm also thinking it's pretty normal at this point. It's even worse when you have aftermarket suspension. When I turn into my driveway I'm also in 1 st gear and crawling. Then everything starts creaking and moaning, especially the headliners, and near the front struts. I hope the 997s are better...
I too have a TT coupe ('04) w/sunroof, now with about 10,000 miles. In the past 500 miles, I hear a creak going over inclines (e.g., driveways) at an angle. It seems associated with the car's body torquing. I can't really tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like it's coming from several different locations. I'm going to have the dealer check it out next time I take it in.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Jim, I emailed you back several times and the emails keep getting returned.

My noise isn't coming from the side vent covers. When I get the replacement defroster cover, I'm going to go to the dealer and ride with the guy so that he understands what sound I'm talking about. It's supposed to rain here all week, so that may make it difficult to isolate though.

Hi Paul...

I'll check into the email problem...

OK its not a "creak" at the windshield. Its not a "rattle" at the defroster and its not coming from the temp vent...but its more the sound of balloons rubbing together...kind of a squeek...Right?

Are you positive---absolutely positive that it is coming from the front dash area and not the rear area like the rear shelf area of the car. That is the only place I had a squeek which was a fit problem from the rear trim panel that rests on the rear shelf below the windshield.

Is it possible its coming from the rear and you think it might be coming from the front?

Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

My '99 coupe also has an annoying creaking sound whenever crawling up and down an incline (i.e. driveway) at an angle. Except the creaking noise sounds more like a metal cable stretching, kind of like the sound you hear when you're pulling up a boat anchor. As far as I can tell, it's coming from the rear driver side. The dealer claimed it was a bad rear strut and replaced it, but that didn't resolve the creaking. I can live with the noise, although I'd still like to know the root cause. Anyone else have this type of "metal cable" creaking?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
tvanbroekhoven
Track Day

My '82 Sc creaks too when it has for instance 1 wheel on the driveway, or while driving on a bumpy road.

Nothing changed in 30 years so it seems
Old 03-20-2010, 12:38 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar noise many moons ago. I thought it was the dash, but it was actually the windshield. You can also do this with the rear windshield as well.

Try this: get some Pedro's ice wax (from your local bike shop) and put it under the seal on the outside of your windshield. That is, on the outside of the car, there is a black seal around the windshield. Use a stiff kitchen spatula and lift the flap up just a bit. Squirt the Ice Wax under the entire seal around the windshield. Then go back with the spatula and kind of "mush" the ice wax in.

If the noise goes away, you have a bad windshield gasket. Cheap fix with the OEM rope gasket replacement. Takes about 30 minutes and bucket of soapy water. BUT, the ice wax treatment will last you a few months at least. You can simply reapply until you run out of the Wax - and then replace the gasket.

Here is my post from RennList about this issue:

As it turns out in most cases -> the noise that appears to be from the dash is actually sound from the windshield moving and creaking. This was a common complaint with the 993. It reappears in some older 996's (mine included). The "6420" is a technical bulletin (Technical Service Bulletin-> TSB) put out by Porsche addressing this problem. TSB 6420 called "Noises in the Wind Shield and Rear Window Area". You can get it TSB's from Renntech. If you haven't joined there, you should, it's a great resource. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...tsbs&code=menu

If you read the TSB, to fix this you need part number 996 541 903 00. One per windshield. It costs $15.00 from pelican parts, or any other parts place (even the dealer). It takes 15 minutes to do it yourself - all all you need is a spatula and a bucket of soapy water.

Now the reason that I said it was a good thread - was because you would never find the right search phrase "6420" without some SERIOUS hunting. Now ask me how I know

-td <-- replaced the gasket and there were no more creaks -> dash, windshield, headliner, or other

Quick Reply: 996 "Structure Creaks"