Sponsored by:

defroster and vent removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:23 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post defroster and vent removal?

How do I remove the side vents and the defroster strips on my 99 996? I am changing them out to the black parts. Thanks, it appears that there are torx screws on the side of the vents but I don't know about the defroster strips. Also is there anything special about taking out the parts in the vents, i.e. the switches etc? Thanks again. Sean
Old 03-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Bob H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did this yesterday on my 99 996 cab,
disconnect the battery
drivers side vent, turn **** all the way to the second parking light and pull **** out and hold then with a small screwdriver push the small piece of brass in that is in the round hole when looking up from the bottom and the **** will pop off, now you can get to the torx screw from the round hole exposed now that the **** is off you can remove the one torx screw in there and remove the two torx screws on the side of the vent, remove the 15/16 nut that is under the **** that you removed, pull the vent out of the dash, grasp the headlight switch on the rear of the vent and turn a 1/16 and it will come out, now from the front of the vent work out the outer part of the switch, this is the part that has the markings for low beam, hi beam ect., and unplug it from the dash wiring. the passenger side is easy, just work out the round cover with your fingernails and remove the torx screw inside and the two screws outside.
To remove the defroster trim you must first remove the trim on the left and right side of the windshield pillar, to do so remove the cover plate on the sunvisor bracket and remove the two 4mm allen screws, do not use a srtipped allen wrench as it will tear up the screws, now from the top pull the trim outwards then lift up.
Now remove the cover on the alarm led light in the center of dash by putting a screwdriver in the front of it and pry it up and it pops out. Now pry up the defroster trim starting from the side that touched the ac vent, it will pop up and you can work it by lifting up hard while inching your way towards the center of the windshield, when you get near the alarm led be careful not to break the two tabs of that hold that alarm led cover you removed.
Look at your new defroster trim and you will see all the all the attaching clips that snap in and you will know where they are when you are removing the old trim
Put it all back together in the reverse order.
Have fun, I know I did
Bob
Old 03-17-2003, 06:28 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, that worked well, but how do I get the headlight **** to snap back on to the switch? I have tried and tried and it won't snap back on! Help!

Quick Reply: defroster and vent removal?