Sponsored by:

spend all you money at the clay bar,clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:16 PM
care4era
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spend all you money at the clay bar,clay bar

Bought some clay bar that I read so much about on this site. Felt like it was doing nothing, just rubbing a peice gunk over my paint. If I were you I would skip this part of the process altogether and just get on with polishing/waxing. I binned it!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very thorough explanation as to your experience. Thanks for the great input.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:33 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, I think the clay bar really helps. It takes off many contaminants you can;t see. The true test is to slide your hand over a piece of the paint that you used clay and anther that you didn;t. You should feel the difference.

Adam
Old 04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
care4era
Racer

"Wow, I think the clay bar really helps. It takes off many contaminants you can;t see."

Snake oil if you ask me. The emporor has no clothes on.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:46 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Very thorough explanation as to your experience. Thanks for the great input.
Dell, it's so hard to tell if you are being serious or sarcastic.
Originally Posted by care4era
"Wow, I think the clay bar really helps. It takes off many contaminants you can;t see."

Snake oil if you ask me. The emporor has no clothes on.
I have to disagree. The claybar, if used correctly, removes a lot of contaminants that you can't see with the naked eye. Did you follow the directions on the claybar? Did you wash the car first to remove excess/loose dirt? Did you use a lubricant with the claybar? You should try it again -- maybe with a different brand of claybar.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It was my attempt at dry humor. Guess I failed on that one
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
care4era
Racer

"I have to disagree. The claybar, if used correctly, removes a lot of contaminants that you can't see with the naked eye. Did you follow the directions on the claybar? Did you wash the car first to remove excess/loose dirt? Did you use a lubricant with the claybar? You should try it again -- maybe with a different brand of claybar."

yes yes, did that but the net value of doing it to me seemed so marginal that I would never bother being that **** about my paintwork ever again
Old 04-01-2006, 06:04 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by care4era
yes yes, did that but the net value of doing it to me seemed so marginal that I would never bother being that **** about my paintwork ever again
Yeah, you have to be a bit **** to appreciate the claybar finish. It takes a bit of work too. I only do it twice a year when I fully detail the car (claybar and full Zaino treatment.)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

The Clay Bar changed my life, I'm a big fan. It definitely takes off the crap that you would have just put wax on top of.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

The clay bar is an overly agressive way to accomplish a simple goal. Just buy P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser. Unlike clay bar, this works by chemically breaking down the stuff on your paint, not stripping it (along with a little bit of your clear coat). Clays have one purpose: removing overspray.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

My opinion (as if anyone cares)...there are a number of products to prep. the paint. Each does something a little different and therefore whether they are necessary depends. One thing for certain...paint prep is the most critical step. Expensive waxes don't fix a lousy prepped car. I use clay to get the paint smooth (actually this means it is removing small particle contaminants like iron particles). There are other products that can help prep (FK1 for example) and paint cleansers, but they do not do what clay does. Heck, we don't care what you use as long as you're happy. I use clay maybe once a year when I do the main detal and then I don't have to worry about it for a long time. Plus it reminds me of playdoh when I was a kid
Old 04-01-2006, 09:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Clay is great! Period! You have to be patient with it and let it glide over your paint. Use lots of lubricant.

I have clay'ed brand new cars and very surprised at all of the crap it picks-up.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:01 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I've used clay bars for years on my cars and it works great but remember 2 things: 1-wash the car thoroughly first in the SHADE. 2- use lots and lots and lots of detailing spray or soapy water when applying it again in the shade.
Try to work on one small area at a time until you get the hang of it and you won't be dissapointed at how smooth the paint will feel afterwards. It's a great prep for whatever sealant/glaze/wax you'll use afterwards. I f the surface is hot or in the sun, you'll just melt the clay all over your finish and end up with a goopy mess.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:28 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never quite understood proper clay bar "technique". Is it meant to be rubbed in circular motions over a small area as when waxing? Or is it more of a vertical/horizontal 'scraping' across the surface? (after washing the car first of course)

Also, what is meant by using it with 'lubrication'? Does that mean to wash the car, then clay bar it before the drying it? Then following the clay with a surface dry?

I apologize if these are silly questions, just trying to learn the process...
Old 04-01-2006, 11:32 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlb532
I've never quite understood proper clay bar "technique". Is it meant to be rubbed in circular motions over a small area as when waxing? Or is it more of a vertical/horizontal 'scraping' across the surface? (after washing the car first of course)

Also, what is meant by using it with 'lubrication'? Does that mean to wash the car, then clay bar it before the drying it? Then following the clay with a surface dry?

I apologize if these are silly questions, just trying to learn the process...
I recommend you buy "Mother's" claybar kit. It comes with the claybar and lubricant (detailing) spray. Follow the instructions on the box. You can also use a carwash shampoo and water solution in a spray bottle for lubrication. DO NOT USE A CLAYBAR ON DRY PAINT.

Quick Reply: spend all you money at the clay bar,clay bar