Sponsored by:

Car Alarm suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm suggestions?

considering getting an aftermarket alarm in the car as the oem alarm/keyless entry in my '00 cab doesnt have shock sensors or much else for that matter.

Any suggestions or experiences?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by 996 Jammy
.... considering getting an aftermarket alarm in the car as the oem alarm/keyless entry in my '00 cab doesnt have shock sensors or much else for that matter.
I've put a lot of aftermarket alarm and remote lock systems in cars. The Porsche OEM set up certainly seems comprehensive enought to meet my needs.

Your OEM alarm will alert you if any of the doors (5 in all) are not fully closed when the alarm is set.

It flashes the park lights to indicate set, rather than the obnoxious horn or siren beep.

The alarm computer can be set to follow about 4 different programs regarding door locking: (lock when car started, don't lock, etc).

If you remotely unlock the doors, but don't open one within a designated number of seconds, the doors automatically re-lock.

It also includes an interior motion sensor when the alarm is set that can be tripped by a small dog left in the car while you run in the 7-11. .... but it won't go off when someone bumps into your car. (I always laugh at those "step away from the car" alarms).

By the way, when you set your alarm with the top down, the motion sensor is not armed, for obvious reasons.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche has a tilt sensor kit which is used in the UK to meet alarm/insurance requirements.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:37 PM
mrcook02996
Advanced

Jammy
I have had several alarms on different cars. To buy one is just like looking for a car, the amount of makers and options available are unbelievable. Before buying it will help to know what functions you want/need for the car (ex. shock sensor, tilt sensor, paging, length of remote range, auto arm, compatible with power locks/windows, remote starter-even avail for man trans, etc.). From this information, it will help with the process of picking an alarm. Also try a search on google, it will give some ideas on what is out there.
A few things that I have learned are to get a 2 way alarm. This gives you a much farther range (some models over 1 mile- in perfect setting), along with the remote will beep to notify you that it sent the signal. After the car does what you want, it will send a signal back to remote (usually 2 beeps) that the transmission was completed. This is especially nice in the summer where you could open the windows to let the hot air out before getting to car, or if you have the remote starter you can have the car running with A/C on.
There are some neat gimmicks with some alarms also. You can be paged or even called on a cell phone if alarm is activated. I have also heard that there is now an alarm that takes pictures from your car when alarm is tripped and sends them to the remote, and will even store some images so you can show police if something happened. Also watch out for hidden costs. Usually a bypass switch or two that can add an extra $50-200 to the cost.
Not sure if this will help you or not. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Car Alarm suggestions?