Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

it's an interesting look
Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, dude, but LA Dismantlers are the worst. Let the rennlist board beware, but LAD is the last place to go when you are desparate for a part that you can't find anywhere else.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:39 PM
johnnyiv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm afraid I will have to make a retraction......

I went to the Porsche dealership today and what I found was that the top is actually seal gray. It turns out that my pcar is not. This is contrary to what I was informed when I purchased the car, as well as what other pcar owners and mechanics have indicated when referring to the car. When the dealer looked the car up, according to their system, the car was originally ordered with a custom colored paint called Slate Gray! Looks like I will have to get the top painted anyway. I guess, even with this knowledge, I would have had to buy one and paint it, as I have been told that custom color tops are few and far between.

So let me be clear, LAD did send me the part that I ordered. Sounds like others have had problems from time to time, but I was in error and this is not one of those occasions.

I am in the process of learning a valuable lesson. I should have been more careful in identifying the specifics of the car prior to purchase. It turns out that, according to the dealer, the car actually has $12K more in options than the seller had informed me. I have been afraid that there may be more the seller did not know or withheld. However, I have had the car inspected and serviced and there appears to be no major defects, malfunctions or signs of misuse.

If that turns out to be true, then maybe this is a less expensive lesson. I think I will order a certificate of authenticity so that I can rest assured of all the specifics on the car.

Thanks for the supportive comments and suggestions.. I also don't want to misrepresent how LAD handled my order. In this case, they did their job
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2006, 06:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm here to tell you.....that top you have pictured in your initial post is NOT seal grey! Regadless, lesson learned.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:01 PM
johnnyiv
Instructor

Wow! I have to be honest and say I don't know what *&^&*& color it is! My current problem is that it's not Slate Gray. But you're right. ..... Lesson learned. I should of joined the forum before purchasing..
Old 04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy crap I would say that top is NOT seal grey, but who knows because I didn't see it in person.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:55 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hard top is a. silver. i have the same one.
regardless, it's a nice 2-tone look. kind of cute
Old 04-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the top they advertised is not the same one they send you..there would have been a color differrence but not this huge!!! I have to say it looks kind of cool having 2 tones....I also think you should have searched a little longer, because there are tops out there for 400 bucks!!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM
japser23
Track Day

WOW!!! I recently purchased a top from Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler for my Seal Gray Porsche. I asked at least 10 TIMES!!!! if they knew what Seal Gray was and that the top I was buying was Seal Gray. Well, they sent me Slate Gray (dark gray almost black). LAD only deals with Porsches and I would hope they knew the difference. So I called the owner (Todd) 2 weeks ago and he agreed to give me a full refund including shipping. Thats the right thing do and he seemed to be helpful. He said he would email me the fedex info. that day. It has been 2 weeks and I have called several times. He keeps saying he will send it in a few hours. I have never sees anything like it. If he doesn't send the Fedex info by tomorrow I will file a dispute with my credit card. Not a friendly group at LAD. I asked the lady working there for a picture of the top before I purhased it and she about bit my head off. I never got a picture.

BTW, it is not cheap to paint those tops. A good paint job will require removing the window and all the rubber moldings. I got extimates around $1,400.

I will keep you posted as to how this all works out.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely Arctic. That really sucks. Returns s/b on their dime, if you don't end up keeping it

I kinda like it!!! Two-tones are cool (Tim K-that ship already sailed!)
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by japser23
If he doesn't send the Fedex info by tomorrow I will file a dispute with my credit card.

YES

This is EXACTLY what you should do

I had the same issue with an exhaust that was advertised on the web as not having resonance.

When it did and the vendor told me re-stocking fee of 15% I told them they could deal with AMEX disputes

They changed their mind quickly
Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 AM
japser23
Track Day

I kinda like it!!! Two-tones are cool (Tim K-that ship already sailed!

I thought about the two tone look and it does look good from behind. The problem I had is with the two colors next to each other on the top of the front windshield.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go two tone!!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you get more headroom with a hardtop compared to the cab?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Do you get more headroom with a hardtop compared to the cab?
Not when the cab top is down.

Quick Reply: Help with color of hardtop