how to get a garaged car back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 AM
vandereydt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get a garaged car back on the road

Good afternoon all,
A good friend of mine has a 2002 C2 996, car has been garaged since early 2003. We want to get this car on the road again. I might buy it from him.

The plan is to trailor the car to my OPC, and get it checked, all fluids replaced, new tires, new battery. But I would like to hear your opinions on an event like this.

Since the car has been standing idle for so many years all the oil must have accumulated in the carter leaving the engine "dry" isnt there a risc for corrosion, or what?

Since I fancy this car, cabrio, low mileage, 2002 i.e no RMS problems, potentially reasonable price. But I am a bit scared that some problems might only surface after a period of time.

I shall drive the car for a few thousand kilometers and then we decide, but isnt there a risc that even after a long time "expensive" issues might show up.

Thanks for your comments, I heard that there's been a long detailled thread about this subject but being new to the list I fail to locate it.

Thanks for your help

Ronny

ps current ride : Boxster 2.5 (350.000 km)
Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 AM
armandodiaz
Instructor

I wouldn't worry about corrosion inside the engine.
I would worry about the engine seals (including the RMS) drying up and leaking later.
But my main concern would be the old fuel. If an additive was not added before storage then the fuel begins to break down and turn into a sludge. I just helped a friend reserect a 944 that was sitting for 7yrs. We went through 2 fuel pumps, 2 filters, 1 in-tank screen and I'm still not confident that no other problems will arise. If the fuel has been sitting for more than a year, I would start to worry.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
vandereydt
Track Day

Armando, nope no additive was added to the fuel. Indeed this is also one of my worries and the seals.
Then one should allmost ask the opc to take the engine out and clean the whole lot aswell as replacing all the seals.
Boy expensive exercise

Thanks
Ronny
Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I have the same problem some what I am building mine and the engine is complete but has been sitting, however with my engine out I changed the fuel injectors, Main seals etc. My main concern is startup which I need to oil to be circulated through the pump and eng components. I think I am going to see by disabling the ignition and just cold cranking to circulate the oil (spark plugs removed) then adding fire to it with the plugs in and run at idle and check for leaks. In your case you could also disconnect the fuel supply line and flush at the same time to remove any foreign debrie. The light the fire.

Quick Reply: how to get a garaged car back on the road