996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

V1. Once you have the arrows, you can't go back. Even if another detector slight edges them out in range, the V1 typically goes off so early you'll have plenty of warning. The arrows are so helpful in determing where the cops are at, or if it's just a false.

I had an alert once that started with a front alert. Then a side alert. Then shortly thereafter, a rear alert. I was totally scratching my head because I was on the highway in the middle of no where. Kept scanning the rear view. The cop had backed his car in behind some trees off on the side of the road. Couldn't see him till you passed him, and even then it was tough. Never would have figured that one out with a standard detector.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but with the v1 you still slowed down when you heard it beep..

Originally Posted by deputydog95
V1. Once you have the arrows, you can't go back. Even if another detector slight edges them out in range, the V1 typically goes off so early you'll have plenty of warning. The arrows are so helpful in determing where the cops are at, or if it's just a false.

I had an alert once that started with a front alert. Then a side alert. Then shortly thereafter, a rear alert. I was totally scratching my head because I was on the highway in the middle of no where. Kept scanning the rear view. The cop had backed his car in behind some trees off on the side of the road. Couldn't see him till you passed him, and even then it was tough. Never would have figured that one out with a standard detector.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

absolutely. the V1 has saved my butt on many occasions. doesn't help much with laser though. the two times it went off, it was a nice way of scaring me to death with that laser alert, to let me know that i'm about to get pulled over skated on both
Old 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 it's a radar detector not a cop detector

2 read up on sites that are non-biased. there are forums out there that are like the rennlist of radar detectors and from what i gather, V1 is the top choice (i ended up buying one a couple of months ago)

3 it's saved me 1 time since. the arrows are a cool, cool feature that i can't imagine being without. it's almost an entertainment piece

4 The V1 is only $100 more than the competition and it's better than the competition. up to you if it's worth $100 more. it comes with all the stuff you need to hardwire whereas some of the other detectors you need to look for it yourself (time is $$$)

5 laser is always the tricky one
Old 03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I can't recall a recent test that I read (i.e. in the last year or two) where the V1 beat the 8500 X50, but last time I recommended it I got laughed at by the V1 crowd. Lets face it, if you only have 1 you will always think yours is best. So buy the X50 and V1 and judge for yourself, or read as many reviews as you can and go with the most recommendations (X50).
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V1 here. I only use it for long distance trips.

I will say this: A radar detector is only as good as you want it to be. Although the V1 has alerted me several times, I do admit that I keep a constant vigil every time I drive. Checking far into the distance for cops in medians, checking for sudden brake lights from cars up ahead and consistently looking for crown vics/impalas/camaros etc. in my mirrors as well. I do my best to stay aware of my settings at all times.
I prefer the V1 because it does have the directional arrows. it just adds to my sense of security.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

I recently had a K40 Calibre installed in my 01. I really like the concealment (only two blue LEDs in the dash beneath the tach) and the voice prompting. The LEDs (as well as the voice feature) act like the V1's arrows. I also got the laser diffuser installed with it. So far, I've been saved one ticket (in excess of go to jail speeds). We'll see how well it works as I continue to gain experience.

For those in Houston, I highly recommend Houston Cartronics for the install.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SRC4S
V1 here. I only use it for long distance trips.

I will say this: A radar detector is only as good as you want it to be. Although the V1 has alerted me several times, I do admit that I keep a constant vigil every time I drive. Checking far into the distance for cops in medians, checking for sudden brake lights from cars up ahead and consistently looking for crown vics/impalas/camaros etc. in my mirrors as well. I do my best to stay aware of my settings at all times.
I prefer the V1 because it does have the directional arrows. it just adds to my sense of security.
In North Carolina, on IH-85, they also have a black Chevy Suburban that gets a lot of use and has surprised many a driver.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

My V1's LIDAR alert saved me from a ticket. I was traveling about 20 mph above the limit when it went off and I immediately hit the brakes slowing down about 15 mph. I saw the deputy about 50 yards down the road and he glared at me as I drove past. I surmise me didn't get a sufficient read for court purposes so he did not write a citation.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

With superior braking in Porsches you can essentially 'break lock' with some radar guns. They transmit pulses and the return doppler shift is compared to subsequent returns to see if it is 'logical.' If you have a deceleration rate that is considered outside the logical by the unit, it will dismiss it. For example, if the first return shows you at 90 mph, and the next shows you at 68 mph, it will reject it. This is one of several filters built into these things. The trick is (1) early warning and (2) serious deceleration (braking). But the early warning is critical.

Dan
Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 PM
SRC4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
With superior braking in Porsches you can essentially 'break lock' with some radar guns. They transmit pulses and the return doppler shift is compared to subsequent returns to see if it is 'logical.' If you have a deceleration rate that is considered outside the logical by the unit, it will dismiss it. For example, if the first return shows you at 90 mph, and the next shows you at 68 mph, it will reject it. This is one of several filters built into these things. The trick is (1) early warning and (2) serious deceleration (braking). But the early warning is critical.

Dan
Interesting. I do brake hard when i see a patrol car. not that i brake so hard that i'm nose diving but enough to get me into the safe zone. but i do get annoyed when i pass by them and they (trooopers) look like their doing their bills instead of paying attention. The worst is those dummy vehicles. one portion of Maryland's I95 used to always have a patrol vehicle and a dummy in it (trooper hat and all!). You gotta hate that!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Dummy police -- is that an oxymoron?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Passport. It's 'da best .
Old 03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My K40 calibre is as good as my V1 and difuses lazer=buys you a few more seconds to slow down. I had both in my car for 3 months. The blue leds are your arrows, front or rear. When the V1 sense returns from both front and rear the side arrows light up. I do not like to leave anything in the car that invites break in and I am too lazy to screw around with those suction cups all day. $1600 dollars versus a trip to court etc. No contest as far as I am concerned.
Steve
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true! The Patrolman may still pull you over but more than likely wont give you a ticket if you don't admit guilt when they ask "do you know how fast you were going?"

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Dan

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Recommendation