Sponsored by:

996 Cooling solutions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
Thanks! Always nice to hear your work is appreciated . Let me know if you have a particular fav and I'll give you the RL price
Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I have more wall art than I have walls. Hopefully others here will take you up on that RL price though. They really are great pics...would look great hanging in the garage, game room, office, etc.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by thstone
My 996 has been running a little hot lately so I checked it out over the weekend and at least one of my relays is inop. Will replace the relay. Thanks for all of the good advice.
Also, remember that the ballast resistors(located behind each fan in the front wheel wells(total of 2)) control the low speed setting of the fan to which it is attached. These resistors are known to go bad. I believe it is far more common for the resistors to go bad than the relays, although it is far easier and cheaper(you can simply switch the relays around to test) to test the relays. When the resistors go bad the fan will not operate at the low speed setting, although it will continue to turn on in the high speed setting when coolant temps reach approx 102 Deg. C. So if after changing the relays(there is a low speed and high speed relay for each fan(total of 4 radiator fan relays)), your low speed fan setting still does not work then you know it is a blown resistor on the side that is inoperable.

A quick way to check the low speed fan operation is to start the car and turn on the AC. The fans will always run at low speed(unless the engine temp is too high, in which case they would run on high speed) while the AC is on.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 06-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
gazzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I've just picked up on this and have a few questions if anyone can advise. Did anyone figure out which was the ground on the relay? I've read the posts and can't find an answer and when you run the two grounds from relay 21 and 22 I take it you connect both to one side of your switch and then run a ground to the chassis from the other side of the switch. I'm thinking about a gen Porsche switch as I've got a couple of spare slots, has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: 996 Cooling solutions