996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Rear Plastic Window Seperating from Cab Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
oceanbluecab
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should look for a good upholstery shop locally, especially one that specializes in convertible tops. If your top is in great condition, then all you need to replace is the window. They'll have to remove the top in order to glue and/or stitch the window to the top. You can't glue or stitch properly without removing the top. Believe me, it is really not rocket science. If you think about it, the job involves removing top, stitch a window (all 10-12ft perimeter with a quality thread) and replace top. I went with the stitching route since the original glue didn't hold it in place for too long. I had blue stitches on my blue top and a new plastic window. Turnaround time was a day.

$1300 to $1800 is a lot compared to $500. Saved my money and bought a short shifter with change to spare. There are many convertible top upholstery shops here in So Cal and the prices are competitive. I even got to see the sewing machine they used but didn't meet the person who actually did the sewing.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem with my MY00. I've spoken to 2 independent upholstery shops here in Atlanta so far and waiting to hear back from a third.

Consensus so far is that the lifespan of a top is 6-9 years. Mine is 6 yrs old so the issue is whether to spend $500 on this one repair when I can get a whole new top for $1300.

Other than the rear plastic window, can I anticipate any other issues with this design in the next few years, THAT is the question! If this is the only problem I have then the $500 repair is the way to go.

Anybody have problems with their tops other than this window issue?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

vette67 - someonw here (can't recall who it was) recently purchased a new top with the GLASS window from GAHH. Do a search on rear window and you will find the thread in about 1 minute.

EDIT: OK, here is the link to the thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=rear+window
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree to all of the above.
I had the same dilemma about 1 month ago. The top was 6 years old. Patching it could have delayed the total top replacement by another 2 years. I went ahead and bought the new GAHH top with glass rear window.
Do a search under my name and you'll find my updates (+pictures) on the replacement project.
Total cost : 1,500 for top and 900 for install.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
vette67 - someonw here (can't recall who it was) recently purchased a new top with the GLASS window from GAHH. Do a search on rear window and you will find the thread in about 1 minute.

EDIT: OK, here is the link to the thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=rear+window
That was me.
I'm also in Atlanta by the way.
Feel free to PM me.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my rear window replaced....my top was in excellent shape, installer didnt suggest a whole top....It was $500 for a complete new stitched in window and they cleaned my top, it looks like new....even got rid of some scratches in the top....I thought about the glass window, but an extra 2k for a glass window...not a priority for me....
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
vette67
Instructor

Originally Posted by newport996
I just had my rear window replaced....my top was in excellent shape, installer didnt suggest a whole top....It was $500 for a complete new stitched in window and they cleaned my top, it looks like new....even got rid of some scratches in the top....I thought about the glass window, but an extra 2k for a glass window...not a priority for me....
Agreed... as long as there are no further repairs to be done in the next few years. If the lifespan is 6-9 years and ours are already 6 yrs old, then one might deduce that they will disintigrate over the next 3 years.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM
SeaVoh
4th Gear

D-Train,
I'm having a similar problem on my 01' cab, only the plastic window is seperating from the bottom center. I was considering changing the plastic window out to a glass rear window.
Does anyone have info if this can be done?
Newbee without Photos (as yet)
SeaVoh
Old 07-29-2006, 08:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy Cow! SeaVoh is a member on his first post That's is rare around here.

As for your issue with the top. You will need and ENTIRE top if you want the glass window. But if you just need the plastic window replaced you can keep your old top and have a new one burned in.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard! ......now go start a thread introducing yourself with PICS!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

My since sold '99 did this 2 months out of warranty. Window puckered.

Got new Porsche rear plastic for around $700 parts only. The issue was, according to the service advisor, that when they go to replace the window, the zipper often breaks. A broken zipper means a new canvas top.

I claimed it on my extended warranty, which of course was one of the Warranty Gold policies that was really of no use. I also asked the DSM for a bit of help from Porsche seeing as the car was barely out of warranty (still under 30k miles too) and always garaged...typical response "no, we don't cover it"...

I ate it. Window and new canvas. Next owner benefitted greatly.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by SeaVoh
D-Train,
I'm having a similar problem on my 01' cab, only the plastic window is seperating from the bottom center. I was considering changing the plastic window out to a glass rear window.
Does anyone have info if this can be done?SeaVoh
There are numerous threads on this exact subject .... it happened to me and many others just as you describe. You can search here, and on RennTech for those threads covering possible repair and/or replacement of the entire top.

Bottom line is that I have heard of no one replacing the plastic window (alone) with a glass one. GAHH does now market a 996 top with a glass window similar to the Boxsters. Last I heard, it was about $1900 + installation.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
SeaVoh
4th Gear

Kims996Cab,
Kudos and thanks for the info on threads.

One more simple inquery...
What is GAHH and how do I contact them?
Very New...Very Curious
SeaVoh
Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by SeaVoh
Kims996Cab,
Kudos and thanks for the info on threads.

One more simple inquery...
What is GAHH and how do I contact them?
Very New...Very Curious
SeaVoh
GAHH is a manufacturer of aftermarket convertible tops. They make standard replacement tops and a 996 top with a glass back window that will fit early model 996s.

Take a look at their Porsche line up here
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 PM
SeaVoh
4th Gear

Newport996,
Exactly where is your place down the street that can replace your rear window
for under $500.? I'm in South OC and am very interested in the Newport Beach shop.
Thanks in advance for your help.
SeaVoh
Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its actually near my office in Hollywood, but my boxster window was redone by a shop in Newport Beach, but Newport Porsche payed for it so i dont know where it was...You can call Newport Porsche service and ask them for the number to the uphostery shop they use....i also know there was a shop in LaJolla that also did it for like $300...Alot of Boxster guys were going there.

Quick Reply: 996 Rear Plastic Window Seperating from Cab Top