Interesting findings on tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by 993RS:
<strong>Sorry, I was not clear: he has a Carrera Cup car but is competing in Club Sport which races with Pirelli Pzeros not slicks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure they are street tires and not R compounds? There is a P-Zero C that is a in between a slick and a street tire. I think its replacement will be called the Corsa.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by 996FLT6:
<strong>993RS- Does your friend with the cupcar feel that the pressures he's using is optimal setting for his car and has he tried other pressures for a comparison. What was the discernible difference running at those pressures versus running on higher pressures? Last- can I have your car : )? Regards. Mike</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mike,
Think about it for a sec. Why would a racer in a well known series run a tire pressure that will give him less than optimal performance?
Part of the set up process is to try different pressures and find what works best for the conditions. This type of trial and error process goes on in all forms of racing and even Driver's Ed events.
Heck I do the same with my street car.
Not trying to be a smart *** your question just struck me odd.

Greg
Old 06-26-2002, 07:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
Greg just wanted to know what discernible differences when they did try out the different pressures on a cup car. Do they vary pressures depending on weather/track conditions etc. Mike
Old 06-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,
All tires have an optimal pressure where they get the best performance. It will vary from track to track and day to day, much of it depending on the ambient and track temps.

Most teams will use nitrogen so the difference between the cold and hot temps is minimized. And in most pro series a tire engineer within the team or from the tire manufacture will be there to give guidance on suspension geometry, temps and pressures. His job is to make sure the car is set up to get the most out of the tires.
I think a ten lb gain is high. I don't use nitrogen and I will see a 8lb gain or so depending on the day, but that depends on the conditions. Often I will end up with a different pressure in each tire, the drivers side tire usually takes the lowest pressure since it gets "used" the most.

Clear as mud, eh?
Old 06-26-2002, 10:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
Greg-it's all good now : ). Now to make things all bliss can I have both your cars to match with 993RS's : )? Regards. Mike
Old 06-27-2002, 01:04 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Greg,
Yes, his is running P Zero Corsa tires.
Mike,
I am kind of far away...

Regards, Phil
Old 06-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,

Sure you can have them both, just pry them out of my cold dead hands first

Phil,
You ought to try the Corsa for your street tire. If you are only getting 4-5K miles on regular tires. The performance difference is dramatic. Try a set, heck your buddy could probably get you a set of takeoffs that would work also.

Greg

Quick Reply: Interesting findings on tire pressure