Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Turbo Performance is finishing up a supercharger for the 996!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 05:17 AM
Cameron D
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo Performance is finishing up a supercharger for the 996!

From the info that I've gathered they have 8000miles on their test car with no problems. They are running the 996 with and without an intercooler with 5lbs of boost. No knocking reported and a drop of .6 secs from the 1/4 mile time. I read an article about there supercharged 993 awhile back in Porsche 911 or European Car. I can't remember which one. It got really good reviews. The unit will be 6000$$ for the supercharger and 1800$ for the intercooler. If anyone is interested I will keep you posted. Release is mid-late april.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Jim Sloves
Racer

Thumbs down

If it it sounds anything like the supercharged Boxster I drove, then break out the Fiorinal. It sounded like a bucket of loose bolts: I did look behind the car to see if there were parts lying in the road. Yes, it sounded sooo bad.

Performance was noticeably increased but I couldn't live with that racket for more than a day.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:06 PM
bloke
Racer

With all the money you are spending on this car why dont you just get the turbo and be safer with less warrenty issues.

But, hey everyone is their own.

Good luck and post some pics of this beast
Old 03-08-2002, 02:06 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"With all the money you are spending on this car why dont you just get the turbo and be safer with less warrenty issues."

Cause I believe Cameron has a cab. So that combination (cab and TT) is not an option.

I too would like a very low boost SC which would provide 300 to 325 lbs of torque - the vast majority of which would come on closer to 2k rather than the current 4k+ for my 258 lbs. This would be preferable in a 996 coupe over a TT as well owing to being able to have 2WD and avoid the extra TT weight.

That said, Turbo Performance has been promising an SC for the 996 "next Spring" for a couple springs now.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:29 PM
bloke
Racer

ben,

I didnt know that he was riding a cab. my bad there.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Carrera Rod
Advanced

"It sounded like a bucket of loose bolts: I did look behind the car to see if there were parts lying in the road. Yes, it sounded sooo bad."

well that was probably the car you were driving. I had a Box with the TPC supercharger and never ever had a problem with it. If it sounded like a bucket of bolts then I would think the install was massacred. I never regretted getting the SC for my Box and would probably not hesitate to get it on my 996. Not all of us paid 80k+ for our 996 and a 6k + install is still a MUCH cheaper option that a TT. Sure if you can afford a TT than do it. If you can't TPC is an option.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:52 PM
Cameron D
Intermediate

Bloke said it correctly. I have a cab and couldn't live with the coupe. As for the $$$ I paid 65,000$$ when the car only had 2000miles on it. It is a canadian car hence the savings.
I haven't even driven a turbo, but the performance would scare me. I love driving my car and don't want to have to compare mine with a turbo, can we say loss of appeal!
As for the kit, it is affordable and comes from a good company. Hell I'll take it.
How do I post pics of my car. Rmemeber that I'm not really that computer savy......

Quick Reply: Turbo Performance is finishing up a supercharger for the 996!