Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

$500.00 to install springs!!! plus $140 for alignment: outrageous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:24 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To install lowering springs, the average rate is about an hour a corner. This is to remove the strut, disassemble and reassemble with the new springs, and reinstall. Plus you would need any alignment.

Coilovers are much more involved. There is the removal and installation of the units (which is the same as the stock struts more or less), and then the ride height setting. We charge 7-8 hours to install coilovers. This is because it can take up to 4 hours to properly set the ride height and get it perfect. A lot of guys measure from the fenderwells and call it good (this is not the way you should do it), but you really need to use height bolts and measure off the factory suspension points. This will allow you to measure a corner to the mm. Sometimes you have 3 corners perfect, one is off 2mm, you change that, and it in turn throws off another corner (that was previously on the mark). What this involves (for those that don't know), is putting the car on the lift, removing all the tires....turning your settings on each strut up or down depending (1 turn of the nut is suppose to equal 2mm IIRC, but I have found that to not be exactly true, so you are guessing when you turn the nut as to how much it will change), putting the tires back on, putting the car back on the ground, rolling the car back and forth over a 20-30 foot area, and rechecking the ride height on the ground. If it is off, you push the car back on the lift, pull the tires, and repeat the process. For me to get everything exactly perfect, takes probably an average of 10-12 times coming off the lift, and I have done more than I care to admit. Sometimes you get lucky on the 3rd or 4th try, but not usually. Some people are content with measuring the fenderwell and saying...ok 25 1/4 - 25 1/2 on each fender...sounds good. Maybe I am too picky
Old 03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, I would rather have picky, than the lowest bidder
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
kaizashozay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I was quoted about $600 just for an alignment because it's AWD.
ur joking right?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
dant
Track Day

Default called DEVEK

They want 1.5 hours a corner(X4) at there custom shop rate of 120.00+ $720.00 and they charge $375.00 for an alignment......... ridiculous, anyone with a spring compressor, or want to do a side job in the Bay area for some extra cash....
DAN
Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I must admit I have been paying $300 for alignment (on a new laser alignment machine) for my C4S. Seems to be the going rate here in Westchester County NY.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Gnome
Racer

Dant, there are a couple of shops in the Bay Area that are Rennlist sponsors. Sharkwerks and 969 Motorsports. You may want to try them.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dant,

$500 to install the PSS9 kit and $69.00 for alignment.
k
Old 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Dant it usually takes us 4-5 hours on a C2 to do springs. We usually focus more on PSS9s, JICs, Motons etc... as doing springs isn't going to really do anything for the performance of the vehicle. In fact, we've found it more often than not unsettles the car a bit more. The shocks are under-damped and so on... We don't do alignments in house though. It's an easy enough job so if you want to save a few bucks you could easily do a DIY on it. It's pretty easy as you were saying. Nice talking to you on the phone! And if you need to borrow a spring compressor I have a few
Old 03-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I takes about 2-3 hours to install springs and another hour for allgnment...4-5 hours is what you charge your client...but over an hour per wheel?? come on!!!??
Old 03-25-2006, 06:54 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I takes about 2-3 hours to install springs and another hour for allgnment...4-5 hours is what you charge your client...but over an hour per wheel?? come on!!!??
As PorscheDoc said it takes about an hour per corner so that's 4 hours. If there's a sub-woofer in the back it does take a while longer which is why I said 4-5. You've got some finiggling to do. Then to do the alignment etc... We do things carefully and do not rush however as I was saying we rarely do springs (I just don't like the way the car drives with those) and just stick to doing coil overs. It takes us the same time so it's about 5 hours to do coil overs on a C2. Give or take some time for ride height adjustments. A little longer with Motons and what not. Although as I said in the original post it's a simple enough DIY job so if someone wants to save $500 bucks and do it at home, I'd be happy to lend the spring compressor out. It feels good to work on your own car too!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
dant
Track Day

Default thanks SHarky

I may try and do it myself.... does anyone know of a good DIY anywhere on the internet... and if you can let me borrow that spring compressor for a day, that would be awesome!!!! But in the meantime if anyone has done this before and wants to make, say $300.00 on the side, I will be more then happy to pay you for it.
Please let me know through PM
Dan
Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't di it myself, because anything that has to do with the driving/engine part of the car has to be done by professionals or I lose my warranty.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dant
I may try and do it myself.... does anyone know of a good DIY anywhere on the internet... and if you can let me borrow that spring compressor for a day, that would be awesome!!!! But in the meantime if anyone has done this before and wants to make, say $300.00 on the side, I will be more then happy to pay you for it.
Dan
No worries man. Like you and the guy below were saying it really IS easy and I bet you'd have a bit of fun/satisfaction doing it yourself Never be afraid!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dant
Dan
No worries man. Like you and the guy below were saying it really IS easy and I bet you'd have a bit of fun/satisfaction doing it yourself Never be afraid!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:37 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are doing lowering springs, you do not need spring compressors. The stock springs are not under much pressure, if you hit the top nut with an impact during disassembly, the spring comes apart under force, but only enough to barely pop the strut and spring apart. What i do, is lay the strut on the ground, get in front of it with the air gun, and point the strut away from me. It will launch all of 6 inches. Going back on, you can set the strut on end and compress it enough yourself to put the top nuts on. Normally I would say always use spring compressors, but you definetly do not need them for this job, in fact, as dangerous as spring compressors are, you are probably increasing your chance of getting hurt by using them in this particular application.

Quick Reply: $500.00 to install springs!!! plus $140 for alignment: outrageous?