Sponsored by:

R Compound tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:46 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default R Compound tires

I'm still fairly new this game and still learning so I admit this is a dumb question for many of you.....

My question is about upgrading from street tires (PS2's to be exact) to R Compound tires (PS Cups)........ Is it as simple as "remove and replace" or should I first upgrade suspension parts (spindles, etc.) to handle the higher g's???

Last edited by LiveNupe; 03-22-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Your suspension will handle the R-comp tires. I assume you will using them on the track where you will be greatly limited by the minimal amount of support provided by the standard seats. It's going to be impossible to keep from being thrown from side to side. The 996 is a very fast platform on a race track on street tires. It becomes wickedly fast on R-comps. I usually recommend upgrading the safety equipment before going to a R-comps, i.e. one piece racing seats, 5 point harness, and at least a roll bar. At one time, my 40th sported a Sparco seat and appropriate safety equipment for track use. With MPSC's the car was faster than I wanted and that lead me to my current track/race car, a 78 SC. This is just one man's opinion as you will find a good number of people with stock equipment using R-comps on the track. I'm not sure what that accomplishes though.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I'm still learning so I admit this is a dumb question for many of you.....

My question is about upgrading from street tires (PS2's to be exact) to R Compound tires (PS Cups)........ Is it as simple as remove and replace or should I first upgrade suspension parts (spindles, etc.) to handle the higher g's???
racing tires that do not heat up to operational temp can be dangerous on the street. it is hard to exceed the envolop of the oem ps2.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Early,
Your assumption is correct. If I were to try the PS Cups, it would only be on the track.

J,
I didn't realize R Compound tires were considered racing tires. I thought racing tires weren't DOT legal and didn't have any tread (as in slicks). Are you saying that R-Compounds are racing tires?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrading to R comps if you are still learning is not only a waste of your time but is also dangerous. It will help hide flaws in your driving and hinder you from improving. It'll also move the limits up past where your skill level might be able to recover the car.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

MPD47,
How do you know when you're ready?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOT-R tires are kind of in between street tires and race tires. They're barely strong enough (particularly in the sidewall) to pass DOT requirements. The tires come with a little tread but it doesn't last very long. Pretty soon DOT-R's look like slicks.

As to when you're ready for DOT-R's. When you've advanced out of the novice group and are one of the fastest drivers in your group, then you might consider them. Until then, concentrate on being a better driver.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I think you'll be fine with R compounds. My first day at the track was on Dunlop Rs with stock suspension. Concentrating on learning is correct though, use the instructors and practice technique rather than trying to make the car faster. There is no reason you can't learn just as much on Rs.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

LiveNupe, I'd suggest posting this in the Racing and DE forum. You might get some "harsh" responses but at the end of the day safety is the most important thing.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Upgrading to R comps if you are still learning is not only a waste of your time but is also dangerous. It will help hide flaws in your driving and hinder you from improving. It'll also move the limits up past where your skill level might be able to recover the car.
MPD47 is right on the money here.

LiveNupe, if you don't have much seat time and experience at "the limit" on street tires, I would highly advise against making the jump to R-tires. Race tires let you do crazy things... the amount of grip is incredible. You might take lines on R-tires which would put you in the weeds on street tires. With R-tires you may be quicker initially, but if your car breaks free at the limit, are your skills ready to save you?

I haven't personally tracked a set of PS2's, but I've been through multiple sets of Rosso N4s and N5s, S-03s, and Sport Cups. If the PS2's are anything close to my N5s, which by all accounts they are, you have a lot of tire to be using on the track.

DOT legal R-tires are autocross, street, and road race tires that happen to meet DOT standards and thus bear the DOT approved badge. These DOT tires also get rated according to the UTQGS (Uniform Tire Quality Grading System) with respect to treadwear, traction, and temperature. This allows the consumer to have some consistent basis for comparing tires. Not all tires are DOT approved.

You asked, "How do you know when you're ready?". This question could have a million answers, but looking at your 40th, I would say when you're comfortably sliding and drifting your car around on the track at good speed.

Even then, I would do seats, a roll/harness bar, and harnesses prior to R-tires and maybe even some suspension tweaks before R-tires.

If you jump to R's first and you have mad skillz , you may find yourself outdriving the suspension (as in too much nose dive and body roll) and cooking your stock brakes... all while you're sliding out of control in your stock seat.

And then there's the cost issue. R-tires in general are not setup well for the amount of camber that you can get out of your 40th's suspension... you may find yourself prematurely eating up the outside edges while there's still plenty of meat left on the inside.

Cheers
Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

LiveNupe,

Stay on your street tires and concentrate on learning propper track driving techniques. As I've said many times, the stock 996 a very fast track car and the stock seats and OEM safety equipment simply does not cut it once you start advancing your skills and thus speed. Why take the chance of wadding up your car and hurting yourself? How safe can it be when half your energy and attention is used trying to stay in a stock seat. You've got elbows, knee, and thing wedged against the door, center console, etc. trying to do what a race seat does by design. Enough of the soap box. Enjoy your car on the track with street tires. They were designed for the suspension that came with your car. Their lower traction will make you a better driver. Slower when you are learning is safer. You will learn more. Don't fall into the bolt on speed trap. Spend your time and money on becoming a better driver. Can you afford to throw away your 40th? Probably not. Go buy something that you can use up and enjoy and yet not miss if you wreck it. That's my advice and I've actually followed it.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:28 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

EarlyApex,
Sounds like wise words of advice.......
Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
EarlyApex,
Sounds like wise words of advice.......
LiveNupe, get out there on some of those beautiful west coast tracks and see what your car can really do in stock form. Then, you can decide where to go from there.

You may decide that you don't want to subject your 40th to the routine track abuse... and you may end up getting a dedicated track car. Who knows?

Get involved in some of your local PCA Driver's Education events. That's a great place to start.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember as I was literally flying through the air at least 20' (Thunderhill in the CW direction and using the bypass) that decided to stop abusing my beautiful car. I started researching what type of track car I wanted and decided on a SC. No power steering, ABS, traction control, PASM. Primitive suspension compared to our cars. Much slower so mistakes can be corrected. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Quick Reply: R Compound tires