996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Warming up Car... How long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've scoured the net for more information on this topic. Does anyone have a link to an engineer-based site that concretely answers this issue one way or the other? For the record, I used the Riad technique. Start car, wait for fast idle to end, drive off at low RPMs until car at optimal operating temperature....then drive HARD.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Lo and behold, I found something just after my post from the Army Corps of Engineers:

http://www.nad.usace.army.mil/cold_w...iving_tips.htm

"Starting: Let your car warm up from one to two minutes before driving during winter temperatures so the oil circulates to all moving parts."

And from the BBC:

"...oil not only settles in an engine, but the cold also makes it coagulate; it takes a minute for the oil to thin out and get pumping everywhere it needs to be, and running high RPMs with cold oil creates an unpleasant metal-on-metal environment which is really quite detrimental to an engine's health. Give it just enough to keep running; wait at least a minute or two before even putting the car in gear for the best results. Once the engine is warm, it can be run just like any other time; except when it's that cold, it's probably also fairly snowy or icy."
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Does anyone have a link to an engineer-based site that concretely answers this issue one way or the other?
You are looking for a definitive answer where none exists (just like in real engineering). I suppose we could practice some scientific method...develop a theory (hypothesis) and go get some data, but that would take all of the fun out of arguing. Mostly people like to techno-babble without any real data (an appropriate, representative data set) then violently argue their point.

Even in the above post...there is no data to support the recommendations. Oh it comes from the Army Corp. of Engineers so it must be good...BS.

The most technical P-car site I have come across is Renntech.org.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You are looking for a definitive answer where none exists (just like in real engineering).
Ask any racing team and they will tell you there is no point sending a car out on the track with cold oil, as the resistance of the cold oil will be visible as power loss in the engine - not to mention the increased wear on the engine !!

Abuse any engine with cold oil and the parts will experience excessive wear because the oil is just not flowing quickly enough. The only question is how long do you need to idle to get the oil just warm enough to drive away. I go for the 2 mins approach:

Start her up, drive her gently 10 meters out of the Garage, leave her idle while you close the garage, and then drive away without abuse until you both reach working temperature. (instructions for warming the car - not the wife)
Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Ask.....

... leave her idle while you close the garage, and ...
Irish - you need to get an automatic garage door opener.

Ask.....
...Start her up, drive her gently 10 meters out of the Garage, leave her idle while you close the garage, and then drive away without abuse until you both reach working temperature. (instructions for warming the car - not the wife)

I'm glad you clarified that, because you NEVER want to leave your wife on "idle" while you close the garage!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Ask any racing team and they will tell you there is no point sending a car out on the track with cold oil, as the resistance of the cold oil will be visible as power loss in the engine - not to mention the increased wear on the engine !
I don't think this is a question for the "race team", I know their cars are quite warm when the race starts, that's not the question. What is cold oil? How cold? What is the right temperature for oil, lubricants, other parts to be at when you start to drive? SHOW ME THE DATA!!! Not more opinions...even if they are a race team (many of which are not successful). YOU still do not provide any data (my original point).
Old 03-27-2006, 08:52 PM
99_Carrera
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't someone mention synthetics earlier? I don't think the ten quarts of Mobil 1 I put in my car a few weeks ago are going to have the clumping effect as previously mentioned.

For me personally, I just wait for the compressor to kick off on cold starting. It drives less with those jolts that you get if you aren't linear with the accelerator when driving it immediately after starting it.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

After doing a fair amount of reading on the web, I remain convinced that the start the car when cold and drive off procedure is simply a part of the save gas and reduce emissions campaign. However, it would seem that letting the car warm up gingerly until the cold start rpm advancer has ended (usually about 1-2 minutes) is the ideal method.

Put another way, why wouldn't you want to warm up the car this way? It lets the oil warm and circulate to all the parts of the engine before any potential harmful wear during cold usage.

Here's a pretty interesting and somewhat scientifically-oriented article from Canada.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

On the subject of engine warming up. I hear a high pitch sound/whine like a small high-speed pump. Not really noticeable because it’s on when the car is started but defiantly can hear it shut off after the car has run for about one minute. Any idea what that is?
(car is a 99 Boxster, have only had it a couple weeks now and my first p-car)
Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kabel_Boxster
On the subject of engine warming up. I hear a high pitch sound/whine like a small high-speed pump. Not really noticeable because it’s on when the car is started but defiantly can hear it shut off after the car has run for about one minute. Any idea what that is?

That would be the muffler bearings spinning around until they warm up.....
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Really? Bummer, I thought the PO mentioned he had replaced that already. Oh well, my Blinker fluid is low so I’ll order some of that at the same time.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Really? Bummer, I thought the PO mentioned he had replaced that already. Oh well, my Blinker fluid is low so I’ll order some of that at the same time.
Be careful not to use just any blinker fluid. If you don't use the Porsche recommended fluid you could wear out your bicoupled flanger prematurely... ask me how I know
Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That noise is the motor of the electric blower that injects air into the engine during the first 1 minute from a cold start. Helps warmup the exhaust. Normal.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

ah, thank you.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 AM
thewump
Instructor

Wow.. 6 pages so far. I can't swim though all that to see if this is stated, but it's my understanding that the issue with allowing a car to warm up as it idles is historically because a car just clicking over has less chance of circulating oil around the entire block. While I believe that would be true of my 76 spitfire and 82 jeep, I'm not sure that it would be true of a P car.

Keith

Quick Reply: Warming up Car... How long?