Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Almost traded for a Cayman S (second thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I would buy it stripped, I would install a very closely fit full cage ALA Ruf's integrated cage, and I would install GT3 seats with 6 point harnesses. Then I would have fun picking off 997s and GT3s at the track . . .
right on. i am almost there.
will have a closely fitting oem looking rear roll bar in two weeks.
has gt2 seats with harness
i have picked ofef 997 and 997s at the track, but GT3.... well. i can always dream, LOL>
Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
right on. i am almost there.
will have a closely fitting oem looking rear roll bar in two weeks.
has gt2 seats with harness
i have picked ofef 997 and 997s at the track, but GT3.... well. i can always dream, LOL>
Mooty,

It is too bad you didn't join the rest of the west coast gang for dinner when I was out at Laguna Seca. Wait a second, on second thought, I am glad we have never met because I think that you would be an extremely evil influence on me. Now, as far as the GT3, I have picked off a few in my n/a 944 I know, I know, you can't be too proud of that feat, but you take them where you can get them, and I am sure that, with time, I could be a gnat to many in a stock Cayman S. If it had a GT3 engine, wow, watch out.

I like the idea of not having much more than 50k wrapped up in a car that I am tracking. The more money you potentially could lose by balling a car up, the more cautious you drive, and thus the slower you are (at least for me). I thoroughly enjoy driving the 944 because I am far less worried about balling it up than I am the 996.

TD
Old 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TD in DC
With the same engines, the Cayman S would spank the 911 S like a red-headed stepchild. Yowza. Wait until RUF gets his hands on the Cayman S . . .
And a 914 with a V8 would spank them all...but seriously....In my opinion, there is SOOOO much more to a car than tenths of a second and what may or may not spank something else...Yes the Cayman S is a FAST car, but so is ANY modern Porsche (except a Cayenne V6)...That being said a Boxster with a 3.8L would be a faster car...nicer? More fun? All subjective.....My take was, that I LOVE the way my 99 C4 Cab feels....I like the AWD system and for ME, its great. The Cayman S isnt for me...not that it wont make a PERFECT car for someone else.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by newport996
And a 914 with a V8 would spank them all...but seriously....In my opinion, there is SOOOO much more to a car than tenths of a second and what may or may not spank something else...Yes the Cayman S is a FAST car, but so is ANY modern Porsche (except a Cayenne V6)...That being said a Boxster with a 3.8L would be a faster car...nicer? More fun? All subjective.....My take was, that I LOVE the way my 99 C4 Cab feels....I like the AWD system and for ME, its great. The Cayman S isnt for me...not that it wont make a PERFECT car for someone else.
Of course . . . I didn't even think this topic was in dispute. I mean, if you look at my first post, I point out that my 996 Targa is preferable for a street only car. Personal preference is important. For example, I have zero desire for an AWD car, and don't intend to own one. Likewise, I have zero desire for a Porsche 911 cab, and don't intend to own one. I am glad it makes you happy, but it is the last thing I would want. On the other hand, there are some absolutely crazy and foolish people who do not want a Targa of course I am joking and being sarcastic just to make a point . . .
Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was Porsche magazine or some magazine to do with only porsche and they compared the cayman s to the 993 Carrera. On the track the 993 barely one, but thats pretty good considering its an older car.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just wanted the new car experience, I don't blame you... ok, a little.

Quick Reply: Almost traded for a Cayman S (second thoughts)