996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shopping for Suspension for my 996 NO TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006 | 11:11 AM
911mz
Advanced

Default Shopping for Suspension for my 996 NO TRACK

I know its a tricky question when it comes to suspension, I know there are posts on this forum regarding suspension, however most of them want it for track, I will try to provide as much information as possible, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 02 996 C2 my first porsche ever, I personally feel the stock suspension is just fine as far as handling and comfort which I would give a B+, however I am looking for suspension kit which will enhance the street handling but most importantly provides more comfort vs stock. I do NOT go to the track, just for daily driving.

Primary purposes:

1. Comfort
2. Driving abilities and handling
3. Lowered the car

P.S. NO TRACK 100% street
Old 03-18-2006 | 11:50 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default You must choose, Skywalker...

You wish to lower the car and "enhance" street handling while improving comfort over the stock setup?

Those are very conflicting goals. Which is more important to you on the street? Handling or comfort?

I suggest you go to a less aggressive high performance street tire and keep the stock setup.

Or, trade on up to a car with PASM.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2006 | 12:21 PM
911mz
Advanced

I guess I am a little confused, I believe handling is priority goal, enough for the street.
Old 03-18-2006 | 12:44 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

The only solution would be PSS9...It allows ou to lower the car, increase the handling capabilities, and keep it smooth for comfort. The car should actually be a little smoother depending on how its set. The great thing is you can adjust the dampening in minutes without a reallignment.
Old 03-18-2006 | 03:51 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mz
I guess I am a little confused, I believe handling is priority goal, enough for the street.
I am looking for suspension kit which will enhance the street handling but most importantly provides more comfort vs stock.

When you say that you wish to enhance the street handling, I assume that you are seeking less body roll, flatter cornering, less nose dive on braking, less squat on acceleration, and less of that floaty feeling that you get when you cruise over a highway expansion joint at speed.

The whole idea is to keep the chassis neutral and the tire patch on the road. In general (on smooth roads), stiffening up your suspension and lowering the center of gravity will help in the handling department but remember suspension tuning is complex involving multiple components such as springs, dampers, bushings, sway bars, wheel/tire, alignment, etc...

Tuning involving higher rate springs and sport dampers may give you flatter cornering and more neutral handling, but you may find that your car has become rough and somewhat uncomfortable. As you tune more toward the sporty side, you may also find that your car will start to seek out every nook and cranny in the pavement and require more "effort" just to keep it driving in a straight line.

If you're not tracking, I suggest that you look into the RoW 030 setup involving different springs and dampers, sway bars, and bushings. It will lower the car a bit and significantly improve the handling without sacrificing too much in the ride quality department.

With the RoW 030, the factory has done all the tuning for you... and it's OEM parts.

PSS9 is another adjustable option for you, but I think you'd be more happy with the RoW 030.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Shopping for Suspension for my 996 NO TRACK