Sponsored by:

New toy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 02:14 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default New toy

Hi, I was killing some time at the mall while my wife shopped and strolled into a Radio shack store. They sell a radar gun for a hundred bucks! I bought the 2 C batteries for it and tested it on all my cars. I went for a drive and when that center lane gets clogged up you just light up your path and watch the ricers scatter! It show k and Ka band on my k40s and V1.

You have to admit, that is up there with watching a cat chase a laser pointer! and for a hundred bucks I am sure you guys can find other uses........................how fast can you pitch, etc.
Steve
Old 03-13-2006 | 02:54 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Hi, I was killing some time at the mall while my wife shopped and strolled into a Radio shack store. They sell a radar gun for a hundred bucks! I bought the 2 C batteries for it and tested it on all my cars. I went for a drive and when that center lane gets clogged up you just light up your path and watch the ricers scatter! It show k and Ka band on my k40s and V1.

You have to admit, that is up there with watching a cat chase a laser pointer! and for a hundred bucks I am sure you guys can find other uses........................how fast can you pitch, etc.
Steve

thats great!
Old 03-13-2006 | 03:12 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Very cool!!!! Now... hypothetically speaking. if you have one unit mounted in the front and one in the rear and have it turned on all the time, wouldn't this work as a Radar jammer?

I mean it is the same frequency as the Policy radar (since it sets off the radara detector)... so wouldn't the signal confuse the Police radar and cause it to read error? So wouldn't it work well as an effective radar jammer? (of course not legal...)
Old 03-13-2006 | 03:31 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Robin! The thing I miss the most about my 993 is the sound or I should say music your mufflers made on my 993 C4. So many people asked about it! I should have kept that damn car and I would probably be a part owner of a small helicopter. The "lister" who bought my car is from socal so you may hear it roar by someday?

Now , about your confusing questions..............my V1 would give me a bogey count so I doubt if one was a legit radar trap, it would be cancelled out, or "jammed" by another source. I have heard stories of creative law enforcement officers setting up traps near known full time sources such as stores etc. I think radar jamming in it's best undetected form is a pretty complex set up. I would bet that there is somebody on this forum who know this stuff. In any case you would have to dismatle the "gun" since it would look silly on the dash.

You can see how fast your dog runs and if you want to tire out the neighborhood kids who oggle your car you could have a "speed challenge". I think many parents would appreciate a rapid energy consuming event provided you explain some details before pointing this contraption at anybody that can see you.
Old 03-13-2006 | 07:28 PM
4s
Instructor

livefree-do you have the sport exhaust on your c4s? Have one on mine and the "music" is awesome, even my neighbors agree. Can't imagine it was any better on your 993.
Old 03-13-2006 | 07:43 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

4s, I do have the PSE. The truth is I practically traded in a recently purchased 2002 C4S because of that feature. I ordered and recieved an exhaust from Brandywine but returned it when I decided to burn 15k and get a CPO car with no issues=LONG story. The PSE is great but seems to peter out at about 45k rpm. The RSRs kept singing to redline. It seemed like after every run at NHIS/DE people came up to me and remarked how nice they sounded. They were throaty without being obnoxious which is a nice compromise. At idle they sound pretty similiar. Here is a link to a video I watch when I am usually away on biz without my car and I need some motivation:

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...ortexhaust.wmv

The sound is pretty awesome, with some extra weight I am sure?
Steve
Old 03-13-2006 | 08:33 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Steve,

I am so happy to hear that you still enjoys the sound of the RSR muffler even after you sold your car. I watched the video sounds a lot like a straight pipe open exhaust , do you know what it is?
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:21 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the video says C4S with PSE, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on further review, it sounds a lot more open, OR the microphone is attached to the trailer hitch????????????????I relly do not know what it is but after seeing it again, it sounds like some open stuff I admired while flagging at a DE event with ear plugs in since I am a rather large human being and I seem to always draw the "pitt out" station, which is along the straight??
Steve
Old 03-14-2006 | 12:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Not to derail the topic, I have Robins mufflers on my car (since 2001) and they are AWESOME, still to this day. Actually I feel they sound better and better each time I drive it. There is NOTHING like a 993 at redline with RSR's Thats my story, and I am sticking to it..
Old 03-14-2006 | 01:55 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Thats awesome!!!! I want to get a Jammer and better setup in my car for runs to avoid any police issues Got any recommendations? I already have a Valentine, which works great!
Old 03-14-2006 | 07:08 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think you can add a laser jammer to work alongside (not connected) with your V1.
Old 03-14-2006 | 07:26 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I did some research on this subject and was going to make my own device after I was zapped by a Police Ladar from behind.... 65 at a 45 zone... but it was a tool booth one of those fast lane with transponder... thought that was a rip off.

The police Ladar fires the laser at 904 nm spectrum. Which can be duplicated by a simple low power gallium laser, if you have both gallium laser firing both front and rear of the car it will cause the Police ladar to produce a error reading.

I believe there several companies that makes this type of device. Some uses LED to produce the 904 nm specturm, some uses lasers. After reading some real world test, the laser units seems to work much better than the LED ones. I believe the company name were Ladertek? Blinder? something like that.

I thought they were too pricey and was going to built my own unit. And later found out that if I keep my head light on, it would somewhat does the same to confuse the police Ladar unit and causes it to get a error reading.... as I was told.....
Old 03-14-2006 | 07:38 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, so we should flash our high beam litronics when we get the laser alert! The cops are going to love that! My K40 has some sort of laser diffuser but I am not sure which one it is?
Old 03-14-2006 | 08:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I think the K40 had the LEDs.

It is interesting that many companys offer the laser difusser instead of the radar diffuser. As laser is regulated by the FDA... not FCC like the radar radio wave. There is no regulation about shooting a laser while you drive, but regardless it is against the law to have any device that hinders the works of our friendly local policeman.

Quick Reply: New toy