Sponsored by:

Engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:39 AM
Stirs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine vibration

I recently bought my first Porsche, a 2001 911 Carrera 4. It currently has abount 7,400 miles on it and has a slight vibration or engine stumble at times when idleing. Is this a normal Porsche engine characteristic? All my prior vehicles (BMW, Infinitis) would idle so smooth you could easily forget the engines were running. Nothing I have ever driven though even comes close to the 911 in terms of handling and power !!!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:55 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

My experience is that these cars tend to be hard on plugs -- especially if they are driven hard.

I would give it a tune-up first and then if the problem remains I would then start to think seriously about it.

If it is under warranty still then might want to complain first and then maybe the shop will do the tune-up for you.

S.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:10 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a '99 996 and my car is a little rough at idle, not to noticeable. I’ve heard that this is normal because of the cams Porsche uses. In my experiences the more aggressive a cam the rougher it idles. I wouldn’t worry about the problem. Also, I am curious as to what Porsche officially calls the new cars are they 911 or 996. I have always referred to mine as a 996. I think they started calling them that in '98 when they started water cooling the engines? Correct me if I’m wrong. I have heard them referred to both ways. I think I might have even heard them advertising a new 911 in a Porsche advertisement. Congrats on the Porsche sounds like a fun car.
-Andrew

Quick Reply: Engine vibration