Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ext. remote control range, anyone done this in NY/NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ext. remote control range, anyone done this in NY/NJ?

i plan to do this while i putting in my remotetop.

could anyone in NJ/NY offer some help? or team up if you need to do this too.

i spent 20 minutes to put the smart top in last weekend. what a ride!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4958
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

According to that post there is a TSB - does that mean this is something the dealer can/will do under warranty?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
According to that post there is a TSB - does that mean this is something the dealer can/will do under warranty?

Don't know about warranty work .... never owned a Porsche new enough .... but there is a TSB, and it is available (among other sources) to contributing members of RennTech.

Its a very simple, 30 minute or so job for even the most basic DIYer.

Its increased my range from a few feet to 15-20 feet.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I think i'm going to try it after work today. What's this about adding extra wire for extended length?
http://www.lotususa.com/Alex/LongRange/default.htm
so one method would be shortening the wire and placing it outside the foam, and the other would be extending the wire???
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redduck996
I think i'm going to try it after work today. What's this about adding extra wire for extended length?
http://www.lotususa.com/Alex/LongRange/default.htm
so one method would be shortening the wire and placing it outside the foam, and the other would be extending the wire???
It seams that the frequency only works with multiples of 130. The first method says trim exactly to 130 and place outside of foam, the second uses a multiple of 130, i think 1690 which is suposed to extent the range further than the 1st mod.
I have yet to do this but it is on my list
Old 03-13-2006, 04:44 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

got it.. thanks...
seems odd to trim to 130 to only have to add more to equal 1690. Does anyone know the length stock? and is that from the black tip to the end of the white wire?

Maybe I should open it up before I ask these questions..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
jedier
Instructor

got it.. thanks...
seems odd to trim to 130 to only have to add more to equal 1690. Does anyone know the length stock? and is that from the black tip to the end of the white wire?

Maybe I should open it up before I ask these questions..
I don't remember the stock length. As per the Renntech DiY, the part to measure is from the black sleeve to the end of the white wire.
I did the mod and it didn't really increase my range (a foot at most). My range is currently about 4 feet. I trimmed to 130. I have not tried to increase the length. Perhaps that would work better.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
996 Convert
Racer

jedier, you've done it all haven't you? how long did this take you? is it too much to add to the laundry list for saturday?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM
jedier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996 Convert
jedier, you've done it all haven't you? how long did this take you? is it too much to add to the laundry list for saturday?
I'm far from having done it all... Compared to some on this board, I'm still a lame newbie!
In any case, yes, we can try to add this to the list for Saturday. If we're done with the SSK and the muffler is still too hot to swap out, we can do this mod in the meantime.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

got it.. thanks...
I just read through the TSB again. As I remembered, it says nothing about increasing the length of the wire. You shorten the wire, then, depending upon what freq. you have, you remove either 100 or 130 mm of shield from your remaining wire.

The TSB indicates to me that both the trimming and the moving the antenna wire away from some shielding are important aspects.

It surely worked for me .... dramatically.

Last edited by Kims996Cab; 03-14-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 AM
jedier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I just read through the TSB again. As I remembered, it says nothing about increasing the length of the wire. Depending upon what freq. you have, you TRIM either 100 or 130 mm from your existing wire.

The TSB indicates to me that both the trimming and the moving the antenna wire away from some shielding are important aspects.

It surely worked for me .... dramatically.
Kim- Did you measure from the edge of the black sleeve or from the end of the shielding? On my car, the black sleeve extends ~5mm past the shielding. I measured from the edge of the black sleeve. I didn't want to cut more (i.e., based on the end of the shielding since I didn't have the HW to re-extend if that didn't work). I'm not sure that 5mm is that significant but since mm is the unit of measure, it could be...
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jedier
Kim- Did you measure from the edge of the black sleeve or from the end of the shielding? On my car, the black sleeve extends ~5mm past the shielding. I measured from the edge of the black sleeve. I didn't want to cut more (i.e., based on the end of the shielding since I didn't have the HW to re-extend if that didn't work). I'm not sure that 5mm is that significant but since mm is the unit of measure, it could be...
I followed the step in the TSB exactly.

Step 5 was to "shorten the antenna lead by 100 mm, measured from the upper end".

Step 6 was to "measured from the upper end of the [remaining] antenna lead" .... strip away the shielding so that 130 mm of the remaining lead was exposed (outside the shielding).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

dumb question, what's a TSB and where can I find it?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

dumb question, what's a TSB and where can I find it?
I was always taught that the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin - notices put out by Porsche on various mechanical and service issues on each model of car. There are hundreds so far for the 996. Some are just informational to dealer service depts, and others announce & describe mechanical fixes for various problems, etc.

One can subscribe through Porsche, I believe, with the TSBs being, in effect, addenda to the factory service manual.

One can also become a contributing member at RennTech.org, and have access to the whole collection, sortable by subject, number, date, etc.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:13 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I was always taught that the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin - notices put out by Porsche on various mechanical and service issues on each model of car. There are hundreds so far for the 996. Some are just informational to dealer service depts, and others announce & describe mechanical fixes for various problems, etc.

One can subscribe through Porsche, I believe, with the TSBs being, in effect, addenda to the factory service manual.

One can also become a contributing member at RennTech.org, and have access to the whole collection, sortable by subject, number, date, etc.
so the next question, dealer won't do TSB for free, right?

Quick Reply: ext. remote control range, anyone done this in NY/NJ?