Sponsored by:

PSS9's or H&R Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
X73/X74 is the Porsche competition suspension, the ultimate, unless you go motons. Pss9's are a 'street' oriented, one size fits all suspension, all bling imo. Mine measures 25.25, that's low enough for me, and the Porsche engineers. Too much adjustability isn't always a good thing at the track, esp in the hands of a neophyte to racing. Nice to be dialed in out of the box, personally, I hate adjusting things at the track, outside of tire pressure. Flame away...........................
Question....The X73/X74 is sold for the US roads right? Some highways and streets are VERY bad and a TRUE track only suspension would have a HORRIBLE ride quality. So are you saying that this "Magic" suspension has a way of making roads driveable while giving race track handling? Then why didnt Porsche put this magic suspension on all cars? because there must be a compromise. Its not the ULTIMATE competition suspension. Either it is an excellent track suspension, or its an excellent street suspension UNLESS you have adjustability. This is where the PSS9's come into play. You can ADJUST the dampening to suit bad roads and highways and when you get to the track adjust the dampening for better handling. And it takes about 5 minutes to adjust the dampening. Then you can adjust the dampening and have a nice smooth ride home after your track day. PLUS...what suspension is good on every track in the world? One that has compromises. Suspension settings from track to track can vary greatly, so why is thi sthe ultimate suspension? How can the engineers in Germany make a suspension that is the best at Infineion and Laguna Seca as well as Mosport and Road Atlanta as well as Silverstone and Nurburgring? ITS IMPOSSIBLE...there must be adjustments made to fine tune the suspension to the driver and the track. The PSS9 gives you SOME of these adjustments allowing a more dialed in car. The GT3 suspension is the ultimate Porsche track suspension AND is known for being VERY unforgiving on the street. The X73/X74 are good suspensions, dont get me wrong, but for most the PSS9 is a better system.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

newport......one reason and one reason only. There is no need for PAG to make a specific suspension for each track or one that is adjustible b/c you will NEVER be able to push the car to its limits in a manner that would be comensurate with a suspension system that you desire. 99% of us will never be at the level the cup car drivers are at and therefore do not need the ability to adjust in the manner they do from track to track. And most of that 1% that will (or is coming close) are on the track ALOT. Just cruise over to the GT3/GT2 board and you will find the answer to your question.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

X73/X74 is the Porsche competition suspension, the ultimate, unless you go motons. Pss9's are a 'street' oriented, one size fits all suspension, all bling imo.
One question...Do you have or have you ever had PSS9 suspension? If not, then how can you really compare. Of course, I will say the same for PSS9 users. Most have not had both X73 and PSS9. So why are you constantly didssing PSS9 and saying thet are bling. You have no grounds for such a comment. OK to praise your X73/74, but lets not comment on that which you know not. BTW if Porsche engineers are so damn good, how come the stock suspension, shift kit, seats, etc. "amended...are not the best"?

Last edited by wross996tt; 03-08-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not go so far as to say that the stock suspension, seats etc su*k and would highly disagree with that, a Chevy Cobalt would meet that. However that being said I WANT THE PSS9!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do I 'dis' pss9's, because it's like shootin' fish in a barrel, can't resist, plus it gets all you guys goin'.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW

I have had 3 different suspensions on my '03TT - Stock US, X73, and finally PSS9. My experience with these three has not been inexpensive, so I hope that you can learn from my experience. The X73's are well matched springs and shocks that bring your car to the proper look (height and rake). The downside that I discovered 10 minutes after leaving the shop for my first drive is that they were FARRRRRRRR to stiff for the roads, streets, and highways were I live in central Illinois. As I've gotten older, I probably am not willing to put up with such a harsh ride. It got so bad, that I caught myself bracing for the shock as I approached cracks, tar stripes, even shadows cast by telephone poles on the street. After two weeks, I reinstalled my OEM suspension.

Next up was PSS9's. The installation instructions from Bilstein leave a lot be desired. My shop misunderstood which OEM parts to reuse and which to discard. They left out the front upper strut thrust washer. As a result, the front springs would load up and release during slow turning maneuvers, creating a boing sound. I found a more competent shop to correct the problem and properly corner balance and set ride height. the height is roughly the same as the X73. The car now looks ride, handles right, and I have adjusted the damping differently for street driving and DE events. I am quite pleased, but this experience came at a significant cost as I climbed the learning curve.

If you live in a world of billiard table smooth streets and roads, go with the X73. It's plug and play. Otherwise PSS9 is the better choice.

Cheers,

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 03-08-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Smooth roads, not. I like it rough......the ride that is.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
newport......one reason and one reason only. There is no need for PAG to make a specific suspension for each track or one that is adjustible b/c you will NEVER be able to push the car to its limits in a manner that would be comensurate with a suspension system that you desire.
At an under 60 mph autocross one can see the differences in adjustable suspension. ALSO PAG NOW DOES make an adjustable suspension. Its called PASM and its STANDARD on the 997 GT3 and an upgrade for all other Carreras...hmmmm....maybe Porsche is learning something. From what I have seen of porsche in the last 30 years is that they are LAST to include technology, but when they do it works VERY well...
Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Why do I 'dis' pss9's, because it's like shootin' fish in a barrel, can't resist, plus it gets all you guys goin'.
Chris, That is great. I'm OK with that!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM
USS TT
Intermediate

well, just ordered the PSS9'ers, will be here Friday.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. You've helped a newbie.

by the way, install is going on 00 C4 CPE, will post before and after as soon as available.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

USS TT, I've yet to hear of anyone with a "narrowbody" 996 complain about PSS9s once they're dialed in for customer correctly. They seem to be a perfect match for the street and "some" tracking. For the C4S and TT (widebody 996s) some folks have lowered them too much and end up riding on the bumpstops whichs makes for unpredicatable handling obviously. For the X73/74 I honestly find it decent on the narrowbody but underdamped for the heavier wide body cars. Almost like they barely changed the spring rates to compensate for the added weight
Old 03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

The PSS9's obviously work well as many folks are quite happy with them, but it's kinda funny that one of their benefits as described by many is the ability to "dial down" (reduce) the damping while driving on the street. So I guess that makes them roughly equivalent to using H&R sport springs with the stock dampers (oversprung/underdamped) which is generally derided on this forum. Pretty funny.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
The PSS9's obviously work well as many folks are quite happy with them, but it's kinda funny that one of their benefits as described by many is the ability to "dial down" (reduce) the damping while driving on the street. So I guess that makes them roughly equivalent to using H&R sport springs with the stock dampers (oversprung/underdamped) which is generally derided on this forum. Pretty funny.
Not at all...If you use H&R springs with stock shocks you are also shortening your shock travel. The PSS9 shocks are designed for the shortened springs. Your stock shocks are not. That is a big issue. If you use H&R springs with a SPORT shock you will get better results, but then you are getting close to PSS9 territory and why not spend a little for adjustability. Using just a shorter spring and a stock shock givers you a pogo effect and the car bounces around...The PSS9 has no pogo effect no matter where you set your dampening.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

>>>>Not at all...If you use H&R springs with stock shocks you are also shortening your shock travel. The PSS9 shocks are designed for the shortened springs. Your stock shocks are not. That is a big issue. <<<<

Good point, as a H&R car sits, it's probably really close to touching the foam bump stops if not already touching.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 AM
carrera2s
AutoX

pss9 all the way//smooth ride

Quick Reply: PSS9's or H&R Coilovers?