Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche Stability Management (PSM):yeah or neah?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Porsche Stability Management (PSM):yeah or neah?

PSM: Worth getting for street and occasional track use or simply one more electrical computerized gizmo which will need resetting and repairs?
Old 03-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim:

Its quite troublefree and has not presented maintenance issues, to date.

IMHO, this is a worthwhile option. In reality, we are not all world-class race drivers and PSM will do a credible job when we get over our heads; something easy to do with these cars.

In most cases, it prevents you from getting to know your body shop or ER on a first-name basis.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:43 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Unconditional yeah.
Ask any instructor, whether D. Murry, H. Haywood or anyone else, the answer is yeah. I have found it to be intrusive on the race track when really pushing the car and actually, it was eating through a set of Pagids of day because of compensation. The beauty is that you can turn it off so that it doesn't bother you when you decide to slide the car but will always come back on when you touch the brakes. I am a fan!
JM
Old 03-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I appreciate it and will get PSM if I order a C2. I know it's standard equipment on the C4S. Still undecided on this but that issue is in another thread. [quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>In most cases, it prevents you from getting to know your body shop or ER on a first-name basis.</strong><hr></blockquote>LOL! Unfortunately my ER knows me quite well. They never hesitate to ask for an emergent study at any hour. But that's what helps pay for this car. Indeed I would like to remain a stranger to the local body shops.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:44 PM
John Murray
Racer

As a Porsche salesman, I say for a Boxster..no, for a BoxsterS..yes, Carreras..yes. PSM will help in 99% of the situations, DE events are the exception.

Good Luck Jim, (get the C2)
Old 03-03-2002, 10:33 PM
RogerJ
Instructor

How well does PSM work in, say, a parking lot autocross where you want to kick the back end out once in a while? There a times you want some instability. As I understand it, when you turn PSM off, it comes back on when you touch the brakes. Wouldn't you want it to stay off?

I have a new C2 with PSM and am concerned that this is going to not work on the track.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

If you turn it off, it stays off until youn hit the brakes when you release the brakes its back off again. In other words, you can never turn it off during breaking but you can for everything but braking (e.g. you disable the fake ldt slip that really works by applying brakes)
Unless you know how to left foot brake to balance weight loads on a car so that it's totally flat, it's no issue at all!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:59 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<strong>Unless you know how to left foot brake to balance weight loads on a car so that it's totally flat, it's no issue at all!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the only problem I have with PSM: left foot braking, or trail-braking. It's a very bizarre feeling when the car will not let you do what you want.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:19 PM
bloke
Racer

jim,

You have to ask yourself and be honest about your needs. If you are like most of us then go and get it. Why not be safe. I dont have one on mine but when it get slippery then i do wonder about it.

So, if this car isnt your track car and dont really want to toss the tail of the car around then go with it.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-05-2002, 12:05 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

I get it now! It stays off when switched off except when you are on the brakes. That also explains why limited slip is no longer offered. It is not needed because they use the brakes to load the spinning wheel and transfer torque over to the wheel with traction. I have read the Service Information book for 2000 (when PSM came out) and still didn't pick that up. I bought the option because knowledgable folks said to be sure to get it. Now that I know what it does, I'm sure glad I did.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by DJ:
<strong>

That's the only problem I have with PSM: left foot braking, or trail-braking. It's a very bizarre feeling when the car will not let you do what you want.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never had a problem with trail braking... Have you had intervene when trail braking?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:35 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<strong>

I never had a problem with trail braking... Have you had intervene when trail braking?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. The car doesn't rotate quite as quickly (it feels a little sluggish) and the pedal does a very quick ABS pulsing. Left foot braking just seems to confuse it.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

I'd rather give up a little adrenalin than pay a visit to the orthopedist, neurosurgeon, rehab unit, and body shops. I'll be getting PSM.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:39 PM
Steve N.
Racer

You've had a lot of good input, and made the correct choice in my mind. For me the best thing about PSM is that I am more comfortable pushing the car closer to its limit when playing than I otherwise would be. Just knowing it is there brings a peace of mind that lets me have more fun with the car.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Rob Nelson
1st Gear

I have PSM on my Boxster and I like it. Saved my bacon a couple times in the 82,000 miles of delightful driving in rain, snow, DE events. Highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Porsche Stability Management (PSM):yeah or neah?