Sponsored by:

Aftermarket CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket CD Changer

Hi - I'm new to the group and to Porsches. Just bought an 03 996 Coupe (for those interested, midnight metallic blue, metropol blue full leather, tip trans., PSM, Bose sound and Xenon lights). This one didn't have the factory-installed CD changer -- the only additional option that I wanted.

Is there an aftermarket CD changer that's compatible with the Bose sound system in this car? If not, does anyone know if Porsche sells the CD changer as an add-on and roughly how much??

Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You car has the MOST fiber optic system, so the only changer that might work is the Porsche CDC-4 changer which is also fiber optic. I do not know and 2003 996 or Boxster owner who has installed this changer yet as the are hard to get. Check the Cayene board as someone had it done on a Cayene which also has the MOST system. Took 2 days and a few bucks but it worked in the end. Becker make the CDC-4 but you cannot at this time buy it from them for less money. Jeff
Old 05-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Exclamation

Yikes! Thanks, Jeff. I checked the Cayenne forum and it looks like this could be a royal pain. Also, I thought that the 03 996s had a factory option of a 6 CD changer, so I don't understand why Porsche doesn't make that available as an "add-on" for later. I'm running out to the garage now to see if my car is pre-wired. Otherwise, I guess I'll live with the single CD changer on the head unit -- very retro.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2003 tequipment booklets for both the Boxster and the 996 list the CDC-4 changer, part number 000 044 900 72. They would not list it if it could not be installed after the fact - but I do not know anyone who has done it as there is a long waiting list for the changer - the Cayenne was the first one I know of. My dealer wants about $880 for the changer and the fiber optic harness is about $100. Someone someday will have it put in in a Boxster or 996, but it looks like the PST2 is necessary so it may be a dealer only install. I looked at a 2003 Boxster and found nothing for a pre-wired changer so I doubt you will find anything on a 996. What is interesting is that the fiber optic runs from the changer to the amp.

On the 1997-2002 Boxsters/996 we would buy the Becker 2660/Porsche CDC-3 changer. Mount the changer in the trunk - plug in the cable to the changer and the other end into the back of the radio head - took 45 minutes. With the MOST system......
Old 08-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Hi Folks -

Just a follow up to see if anyone's had a CD changer dealer installed on an '03 that didn't come with one originally.

Looks like if I want one, I have to bite the bullet and get one from the dealer, but wanted to know if anyone's done it and what their experience was like. Is this a simple matter of "plug 'n play," or is it more complicated (i.e., time consuming).

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:32 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Check Ebay. There are usually some hanging around - I do not know anything about the fiber optic compatibility so make sure you know before you buy!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:28 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I would check ebay as well or a junkyard there are some that are good like :

http://www.911pcar.com

However given the actual cost of the changer you could get an aftermarket alpine head unit and changer 12 disc for about the same price! You can call bekker the manufacturer of the audio stuff for an adapter for the speakers so it's plug and play - I had to teach them how to do it so they should know now- It would take less than one hour to do the whole thing in and out- very easy.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CD Changer