Sponsored by:

Strange question regarding exhaust tip swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange question regarding exhaust tip swap

I'm in the process of swapping out the exhaust tips with the Tequipment ovals on my '99, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the passenger side to align correctly (driver-side alignment is perfect). When mounted flush within the exhaust clamps, the right oval tip is skewed at a 45-degree angle instead of flat (when viewed from the rear). Rotating the tip to the desired angle would result in the neck of the exhaust tip not fitting flush within the clamps, or even not at all. For those of you who've swapped out your exhaust cans, is there any adjustment I can make by dismounting and remounting the right (passenger-side) can? This is purely for aesthetics, of course, but it's driving me nuts to see such gorgeous tips misaligned when viewed directly from behind.

I'm an attention-to-details kind of guy, so I just can't seem to let it go.

TIA,
Charlie
Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With the tips removed, carefuly measure the position of the muffler outlet on each side of the car. If they are different, it must be corrected first. Possibly the muffler needs to be moved up or down or one is bent. If the mufflers check out, then compare the tips. They should be EXACT mirror images of each other.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the "tip" on the tips. I'll go mess around with the cans to see if that helps.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

I am having the same problem. Can't figure it out. Out of curiosity what tips do you have (new ones) and where did you buy them?? Got mine from ebay and I wonder if they are fake????
Old 03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

I re-aligned mine a few times after standing back and staring at it. I took measurements and scratched my head, but the trick for me ended up being the clamp itself. I think I had one clamp on backwards or upside down and it was just enough to cause the tip to look out of alignment. I think the clamp just preferred one way or the other since I reused the clamps that were on there. Hope that helps...
Old 03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

The clamp was backwards? From what I can see, the clamp looks symmetrical, so I wouldn't think reversing it would make any difference on the fitment, but heck I'll give anything a try.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rval_1999
I am having the same problem. Can't figure it out. Out of curiosity what tips do you have (new ones) and where did you buy them?? Got mine from ebay and I wonder if they are fake????
I bought a used set of Tequipment ovals from Brandywine. The chrome surface was still like-new, so I didn't mind used. Let me know what you did if you ever get them to align correctly.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

I know, sounds ridiculous. It just seemed to fit better when I flipped it around. (?) I don't remember if the bolt was going down or up when I found the right position. Not sure what kind of condition your clamp is in, but I think next time around I will throw new clamps in there.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:28 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

I have a similar problem with GHL exhaust/tips. What was the prognosis on this? Muffler-can alignment or tip connector?

Quick Reply: Strange question regarding exhaust tip swap