Sponsored by:

Bad Service Experience at Newport Auto Ctr

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Bad Service Experience at Newport Auto Ctr

I'm in the process of completing a deal to buy an '03 C4S, that's still under warranty, from an independent dealer. After a PPI by another independent shop, it needed an RMS replacement (no real surprise), as well as a few other minor issues. So the seller takes it into Newport Auto in Newport Beach, CA and drops it off on 2/21. They say they're busy but will try to get to it as soon as possible. A few days later, the service advisor, Rick West, said they have to order some parts so we have to wait because they don't want to tie up a lift with a tranny removal. I later then find out that they actually had the seal in stock but apparently had to order the other items, none of which would require a tranny of even engine removal. So they actually could have finished the RMS job last week and put in the other replacement parts after it arrived. Instead they let the car sit in their back lot. Yesterday, they tell me that they have not even started on the job and may be Wed before thay can get to it and finish it. In the meantime, I find out inadvertently that one of their customer's cars needed an engine replacement so the tech that was supposedly assigned to my car is too busy. I spoke to the service manager there, John Mitsuishi (sp) about this situation and he nonchalant and defensive response was that they're busy and will try their best to finish it soon - something I've been hearing all week. He even had the nerve to suggest I pull the car (after it sat in his lot for a week) if I want to send it to McKenna or Hoehn instead.

I believe because the car is not being purchased from their dealership but from essntially a competitor, they lower the priority of handling its service issues. Assuming we get the car out today, which I doubt, I will not use their service dept again. I'm planning to send a complaint letter to Porche NA and Power Auto Group's corporate office about the inefficiency of this service dept and the poor customer service attitude they exhibit.

Is my expectations unreasonable?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

not really, but I have bought a car from them before...no preferential treatment here. I called and told them that there was a huge puddle of coolant under my still in warranty 996. The flatbed was on its way and I wanted to bring it to them, when can they get to it..."Maybe Thursday if all goes well.", so I took it to McKenna and they had it on a lift within an hour...had it completely diagnosed and parts in the next day. While it was there they checked all other fluids, looked at brake wear, checked the clutch and tires and gave the car a once over to make sure all else was ok. The repair was because of impact damage which is not covered by warranty, but they covered it anyway because they sold the car to me and wanted to take care of it....A few times my mechanic actually went to bat for me to get a repair fixed under warranty with the service advisor....If and when I buy another Porsche McKenna has my business. I dont even look at the cars on the Newport lot...I wont buy there again, unless they change they're management and policies.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
4s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree about Newport Auto. I've had a similar experience with them also. Bought my car there and then was treated like crap. They don't know the phrase "customer service." I will NEVER go back to that place again even though they are the closest to me and i drive by them all the time.
Can't say Circle Porsche is any better. Called them about getting some service done to my car which is covered under the warranty and they wanted me to pay for a loaner. What is that about? Never have I heard of a dealership or had one charge me for a loaner. Maybe Porsche needs to make a little less money so that they can offer a loaner when your car needs warranty work.
So i guess its McKenna or Hoen. Anyone know of a good service guy over there?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

they even treath you like crap when you go to their part department! They are all arrogant ..I think every employee get a "how to be a dick" training.... I would never bring my P there.....on top of it all they overcharge for every job!!!! About $1500 for 60K service!!! I go to Pristine 9an independed who only repairs Porsche and other exotics...no nonsense and they did a great job!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
I find out inadvertently that one of their customer's cars needed an engine replacement
That must have been my wifes Boxster. We collected the car last a week ago Saturday. Car ran ok, a little quieter with the new engine, but noticed the dealer put exactly 102 miles on it? I asked why this was. They claim a typo in the inbound mileage, which does actually make sense. Still dont trust them.

Anyhow, this last weekend, were driving it and we lost power steering. Leaking Pentosin (p/s fluid) out the bottom. Flatbedded back to the dealer Sunday. Yesterday I hear the new engine was improperly sealed at the power steering pump to reservoir connection. Bull****, the thing didnt leak all week!!

Despite rework, still no loaner car.

Back to topic, sorry if we were the ones with the engine replacement that delayed you..
Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

I'm glad to hear my situation is not an isolated case, and and that I'm not being unreasonable as to my expectations. I will print out this thread and include it with the letter I'll send to Porsche NA and the Power Auto Group.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:36 PM
4s
Instructor

chris- thats funny (not really) but my airbag light came on about a week after they replaced my engine too. What's going on at Newport Auto? It seems like their run by a bunch of idiots.

slaaw- was it an 02 silver c4s that needed a new engine. That was mine. They had it for 2 weeks and the story was always we're waiting for parts maybe tomorrow. Send a copy of the letter over to me and I'll sign it as well. By the way John is no help what so ever. Bring your car to a different dealership.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Wow....McKenna swapped my engine. Total time at the dealer...4 days....not an issue regarding the engine after that. This included overnighting an engine and then installing. 2 Weeks? that seems crazy.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

stead motor swapped my RMS the same day then let me drive it home. when motor arrived, they called me, stuffed it in and it's back to me the same day.

pick you dealers wisely. you are a paying customer (even warranty stuff), they ought to PLEASE you not abuse you. it's their honor to serve you, not their right.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

he guys Newport is cheap!! they only charge 129 per hour plus tax.....what can you expect for this low labor fee.....I am being very very sarcastic (just in case you didn't already understand)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
4s
Instructor

yep. 2 weeks and it was like I was doing them a favor for having it serviced with them.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:08 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
he guys Newport is cheap!! they only charge 129 per hour plus tax.....what can you expect for this low labor fee.....I am being very very sarcastic (just in case you didn't already understand)
is this supposed to be a joke?

here in NYC area, all dealer i go to laber rate is $100, with 10% PCA dsicount, you looking at laber rate 90/hour.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 PM
JTSPO
Intermediate

Default I feel your pain

Originally Posted by newport996
not really, but I have bought a car from them before...no preferential treatment here. I called and told them that there was a huge puddle of coolant under my still in warranty 996. The flatbed was on its way and I wanted to bring it to them, when can they get to it..."Maybe Thursday if all goes well.", so I took it to McKenna and they had it on a lift within an hour...had it completely diagnosed and parts in the next day. While it was there they checked all other fluids, looked at brake wear, checked the clutch and tires and gave the car a once over to make sure all else was ok. The repair was because of impact damage which is not covered by warranty, but they covered it anyway because they sold the car to me and wanted to take care of it....A few times my mechanic actually went to bat for me to get a repair fixed under warranty with the service advisor....If and when I buy another Porsche McKenna has my business. I dont even look at the cars on the Newport lot...I wont buy there again, unless they change they're management and policies.
My 996 was at Walter's in riverside and it was damaged! I was treated like total crap. I am suing them for the damages for $1200 and a unwanted new clutch.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

here in NYC area, all dealer i go to laber rate is $100, with 10% PCA dsicount, you looking at laber rate 90/hour.

The labor rate doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is the time they give the mechanics to perform various services. Dealers must take the average time it takes to perform a task, and then multiply that time by two and then square it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM
HooliganX
Racer

I am on my 3rd Porsche and each time I was ready to purchase I tried Newport because they are the closest dealer to me. Each time they were arrogant jerks. I can't understand how they stay in business with that attitude. There I was cash in hand ready to buy and they act like they can hardly be bothered to speak with you.

So I went to McKenna, was treated great and bought the GT3 from them. I have also had it in for warranty work and they were outstanding. From my experience I would highly recommend McKenna.

Quick Reply: Bad Service Experience at Newport Auto Ctr