Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Metal flecks in oil filter housing (Help Please)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 09:59 AM
chicagoporsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal flecks in oil filter housing (Help Please)

Hi everyone any help on this one would be appreciated. I have a 99' 996 with 75k on the engine. The car is no garage queen and driven quite regularly and the fluids have been changed religiously. The car was hit this past fall and has been in the body shop since last Novemeber (about 3 months). While in the shop I am not sure how often the engine was started. Having just received the car back I decided to change the oil and noticed glitter like flakes in the oil filter housing (Plastic cover inside the base) and in the oil drain pan (not many but enough to get me concerned). I am thinking that it could be normal and could have been caused by some no lubricated oil starved parts grinding when the car was started after sitting for such a long period of time. My car has never leaked a drop of oil, ever burnt oil, never used oil and never had a RMS problem. What do you guys think? The car runs fine, does not smoke or make any strange noises either. Thank you in advance.

B
Old 02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of damage did the car sustain when it was hit? if the rear is hit at all, i'd suspect that your engine may have been damaged. i'd keep the oil and filter in case the engine goes bad and you need have insurance cover engine replacement. drain the new oil again after 500 miles to inspect if more metal shaving. if so, i'd definitely get the engine taken apart at a shop to see if it's on its way out. If not, it maybe okay but I'd keep the filter and old oil for a while.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

send an oil sample for analysis. Best $20 you'll ever spend on the car. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Quick Reply: Metal flecks in oil filter housing (Help Please)