Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have condensation form on the outside bottom of the front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 AM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone else have condensation form on the outside bottom of the front windshield?

Their seems to be some sort of water/fog forming at the bottom of the outside of my front windshield.. it goes away if I turn on the wipers but it is annoying to keep using them when it is not raining? any ideas what is causing it or how to get rid of it?

thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Cool air leaking through the defroster vents. Somtimes you can fix it by cycling the defroster on and off to get the dampers to seat right.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:28 PM
nealM
Advanced

anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:04 PM
BRUCE
Instructor

Mine does the same thing. I believe it is from cold deffrost. I usually hit the button on the climate control that focuses the air through the center dash vents and less through the defrost vents.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:11 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn annoying design flaw in the Porsche automatic climate control. Seems especially bad in my 99 and 01 996 series.

If the system is in "cooling mode", predominantly cool airflow from the system, (the A/C compressor runs all the damn time!) and you leave it in fully automatic mode then the stupid thing blows LOTS of CHILLING airflow out the defrost ductwork toward the bottom interior of the windshield.

The solution is to NEVER leave the system in fully automatic mode on days wherein you predominantly need cooling. Always manually over-ride the airflow mode to dash outlets of dash and floor outlets combined.

I picked up our 01 C4 at the factory and when I turned it in for shipment to the US I told the factory rep that something was amiss with the climate control, I had to continually "fiddle" with the temperature setpoint in order for us to be comfortable.

I picked the car up at POE on a rather hot July day, about noon, and by 8PM I was approaching Birmingham AL after just driving through a rain shower. Hot, humid, MUGGY evening.

Before we really realized what was happening, dark of the evening and all that, the outside surface of the windshield was almost completely fogged over. Wipers cleared it up right away.

Due to past experience with phenomina of this type in the Lexus I guessed the causative factor almost immediately. The A/C system had quite thoroughly CHILLED the windshield.

Every one I have talked to at Porsche pretty much says "nature of the beast" and ignores my complaints.

If you notice the system also DOES NOT provide much warming airflow "leakage" to keep the windshield form fogging over on cold days like systems of yore did.

I think some young inexperienced or dislexic software engineer screwed up and mis-programmed the climate control ECU, cold OAT should cause extra defrost duct airflow, not HOT OAT.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have condensation form on the outside bottom of the front windshield?