996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Proper shifting (going easy on the RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes thats why I always buy new....I don't worry about the cars I will own , I order them. And don't assume my car is bag of **** , thats not treated right. I can tell you it gets fresh oil every 5000 KMS and what ever the car needs it gets, how many here can say their cars have had 8 oil changes in just over a year. One more thing i have played around with lots of other 996's not only is my car faster but it runs better.HANDS down, if anyone here would like more proof I can forward you the name of My Porsche Wrench whom swears its the FASTEST, NA 996 he had ever drove. I first thought he was full of it, but then I asked other 996'd owners to drive the car, all with the same outcome no one believes me when i say the car is BONE STOCK. Maybe some should run the cars harder and they will work better.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Does a used car buyer need anymore proof as to why it is important to know who drove the car before you and what repairs may or may not have been needed as a result. When you have drivers who just beat on their car without caring about whether it breaks or not, a prospective buyer has to be concerned about any long-term damage to the engine. Bob996, pay particular note here. There are some Porsche drivers that are a hell of a lot more aggressive with these cars than drivers of other makes.
I don't get it......what is your point???

Kilrgt, said "I drive my cars hard I don't abuse them"

I only indicated that I don't drive around worrying about my Rear Main Seals.

Where did either of us indicate we "beat on our cars"???
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Bob996, pay particular note here. There are some Porsche drivers that are a hell of a lot more aggressive with these cars than drivers of other makes.
I'm sure the drivers of Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, etc. are so much more gentle to their cars. (Tongue firmly in cheek).
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Lowside, it's about preparing your car to be driven. I'm not saying not to enjoy the heck out of it; rather, I'm just saying that it would be foolish to hit it prematurely before the engine is warm.

Ray, I don't drive around worrying about RMS at all. I think you misread my post. 'My' point was to suggest what I just did above: warm first, drive hard after. Really bad things can happen over time if this protocol is not adhered to. Go ahead, take your car out on a freezing winter day, start it up, and redline it. See how long it lasts. When Porsche doesn't warranty an engine after a certain period, it really does matter how the previous driver used the car if one is at all interested in a used car. Statements like "i couldn't care less if it breaks" would be a little disconcerting to a prospective buyer, wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

I think you mistook what kilrgt said then, I don't think ANY of us don't warm our cars up before we run the heck out of them. He specifically said he doesn't run it to redline when it's cold...
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I think you mistook what kilrgt said then, I don't think ANY of us don't warm our cars up before we run the heck out of them. He specifically said he doesn't run it to redline when it's cold...
On re-reading the post, I did misread it. You're right. Well, so much for that....
Old 02-22-2006, 06:02 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Yeah, but like your car, lubrication is very important.
wow, i see another 0-40, 5-50 thread coming
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ray, I don't drive around worrying about RMS at all. I think you misread my post. 'My' point was to suggest what I just did above: warm first, drive hard after. Really bad things can happen over time if this protocol is not adhered to. Go ahead, take your car out on a freezing winter day, start it up, and redline it. See how long it lasts. When Porsche doesn't warranty an engine after a certain period, it really does matter how the previous driver used the car if one is at all interested in a used car. Statements like "i couldn't care less if it breaks" would be a little disconcerting to a prospective buyer, wouldn't you agree?
You obviously misunderstood my post (and Kilrgt's also). I would never treat my car in the manner you describe above. That being said they are performance vehicles. I maintain them well, but drive them in a "spirited" manner and I don't drive around worrying about RMS.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

On re-reading the post, I did misread it. You're right. Well, so much for that....
Originally Posted by Ray S
You obviously misunderstood my post (and Kilrgt's also). I would never treat my car in the manner you describe above. That being said they are performance vehicles. I maintain them well, but drive them in a "spirited" manner and I don't drive around worrying about RMS.
He already mentioned he did misread.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all good guys, I am sure no one took it personal.....or did I???? Nooo nothing bothers me,This is why I like this place we can all have our own opinions, in the end we all still love our cars.

Quick Reply: Proper shifting (going easy on the RMS)