Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Smart Top installed: awesome. New squeak: not so awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smart Top installed: awesome. New squeak: not so awesome.

Sorry for the lame pic, but it is the only one I have access to. Proud owner of a 2003 Cab, pretty standard really, with Smart Top recently installed. Thanks again to deputy dog for the group buy.

Loving the functionality. However, post installation, I've developed a nasty squeak. It seems to happen when the horseshoe shaped cover opens and closes. Any ideas what I could be? I was pretty greased up after the install. Maybe I degreased some critical areas? Could it be as simple as that?

Before I take it to the dealer, should I uninstall the Smart Top? Anyone have any issues with warranty? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You should have ZERO issues with warranty since it is totally plug and play. And since it is a sub 10 minute install/unistall I would remove it just to be safe. You never want the dealer to have the OPTION to deny an warranty work. As for the sound you are hearing, it is not related to the install of the smart top but could very well be a simple lube job on the hinges, etc.

There amy be a TSB floating around on the remedy for rear noises for CAB tops. Check over on Renntech.org
Old 02-21-2006, 07:53 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

i agree with dell. i really doubt the smartop is making your top squeaky.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I have been using the smart top extensively for a couple of weeks now and the operation is exactly the same as before the smart top doesn't change that...I doubt if the dealer even sees the smart top install..they probably think it was there when you bought it
Old 02-22-2006, 10:04 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Perhaps the squeak is emanating from how you reattached the top's restraining chains. They might be rubbing against the hinge/joint of the top as it opens and closes. I would open your top back to the maintenance position and make sure that the metal cables are safely tucked away in the protectant cloth and that the cloth is nicely aligned in position. You want to ensure that nothing is rubbing against the top as it opens and closed. Barring that adjustment, you likely just need a little white lithium grease here and there.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Smart Top installed: awesome. New squeak: not so awesome.