First Hand Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Post First Hand Job

Got your attention, huh?

Rightly or wrongly, I followed advice and waited 4 months before the first wax. Supposedly to allow enough time for the paint/clear coat to fully cure. I think the manual said 3 months, but what's another extra month.

Just got done. Boy, those Porsche curves are sure sexy! One curve languorously merging into the next, the hand gently following one mound into into a subtle dip........

Uh, where was I? Oh. Waxing. Right. Back to showroom shine! Gorgeous. And a satisfied, tired feeling of ... uh... accomplishment

Just thought I'd share.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:15 PM
urbanski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what car wash soap did you use during the 4 non-wax months?
Old 06-01-2002, 04:16 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of polish/wax did you use?
Old 06-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Nothing fancy, guys. Used Blue Coral car Wash/Protectant from Wal-Mart, no buffing the first 4 months. Just a soaking rinse, apply, rinse. Done about once a week. Now added Turtle Wax 100% Carnauba, also from Wal-Mart. It's an old time favorite that dates all the way back to HS and my Corolla SR, my first car. That car was a beaut!! Asian spec, fast and tossable!! Anyway, I digress. Just apply, let dry, wipe off, then buff. It has served me well, and I will continue to use it 'til arthritis sets in.

One of my detailing secrets? I have access to surgical pads, better than any towel or chamy. Plus elbow grease. Lots of elbow grease.

Ooops. Forgot about Commercial posts. I don't think this qualifies as nuke-able, does it?
Old 06-02-2002, 10:27 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the owner's manual really say to wait three months before waxing?
Old 06-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Did the RTFM again today, ohsixx. Couldn't find the specific passage today. Maybe it's urban legend, but I know it's in there. I distinctly recall a thread at this or another forum where there was a discussion on whether the countdown starts from the build date or delivery date. Anyway, I've followed the same rule through all the new cars I've bought and have never regretted it.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Palting-you should do a side job doing telephone sex talk. With the way you said it- its turning me on : ). But man when a car is new, boy is it real fun to wash/wax and make it brand stanking new again : ). Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: First Hand Job