Sponsored by:

Hardtop hoist & garage renovation advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hardtop hoist & garage renovation advice pls

My garage has just about reached junk storage capacity so I'm thinking about renovating it with one of those modular storage systems like GarageTek, StoreWALL etc.. For my hardtop I'm thinking a hoist for easy 1 man use and also storage, like E-Z Top or IMC.

Does anybody have any advice or recommendations for any of the different storage systems or hoists? Also, with the hoists, which is better, the ones with the soft straps or a rigid bar for securing the hardtop? TIA.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the strasse electric hoist (www.strasseusa.com), not affiliated, just purchased it. I guess it's okay. The electric feature (vs manual) is great, I can get the top on/off in less than 5 minutes. My wife is petite so I'm on my own with the hard top.

However, the padded bar has metal clips that I wish would have been coated in rubber. When you are attaching the padded bar, you have to be extremely careful that the metal clips do not scratch or mar the hardtop finish. Also, the padded bar has plastic caps that always seem to be falling off. Finally, I don't know if a padded bar making contact with the hardtop edges (the edges where the rear 1/4 windows would seal when installed on the car...) is all that great of an idea although I have not had any leaks (yet?). After I had bought this hoist I seem to remember seeing a hoist/bar combo that was made in such a way that contact was made with the interior of the hard top and not the edges. But, I didn't pursue it lest I bring on some buyer's remorse...

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got the manual one (brake winch) and can highly recommend it.
http://www.hoistlifts.com/porsche.html
Paid like 270$ for it. Just convenient. Takes about 5 minutes to change tops, no assistance needed.
Installation is very easy, took me about 30 minutes. Just a matter of finding some solid struts (wall + ceiling).
Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smackboy1
My garage has just about reached junk storage capacity so I'm thinking about renovating it with one of those modular storage systems like GarageTek, StoreWALL etc.. For my hardtop I'm thinking a hoist for easy 1 man use and also storage, like E-Z Top or IMC.

Does anybody have any advice or recommendations for any of the different storage systems or hoists? Also, with the hoists, which is better, the ones with the soft straps or a rigid bar for securing the hardtop? TIA.
I guess those of us from the Northeast are starting to prep for spring. This will be my first season with my cab, and have been shopping/doing homework on the different hoist systems. The designs seem pretty straight foward, and I have considered "designing" my own, but decided I would like some form of company responsibility.
I have spoken with several different dealerships regarding which they sell, there does not seem to be a consistent favorite. Personally, I think I will go with the EZ Top. I had actually contacted them regarding a group buy, but they prefer just giving a 10% discount and free sheepskin pads(w/electric system) if you mention a Porsche web forum . The letter below is from EZ Top. I am going to try negotiating a better "group buy" price. I will keep the forum informed.

Hello David,

Thank you for inquiring about our product. Our Company would be willing to
offer a 10% discount to any individual involved with a Porsche Web Forum.
All Electric systems purchased would also receive a FREE SHEEPKSKIN UPGRADE,
which is a $55 value. Delivery time is approximately 10-12 days from date of
order. There would be no minimum purchase required.We would ask the customer
to identify themselves as a BMW Forum participant.

If we could be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Angie Stice
Customer Sales Director
HardTop Hoist, Inc.
877-219-6332 (Toll Free)
281-441-2121 (Fax)
www.eztop.com
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by smackboy1

I bought one of the standard manual hoists on Ebay .... about $160. I was not very happy due to the fact that it has over a foot of dead space between the ceiling and the top ... taken up by the block and tackle, hook, harness ring, etc. Even with my 10' garage ceilings, this seems like an intrusion once the bulk of the top is taken into account.

At the suggestion of a poster here, I bought a remote control, powered winch from Harbor Freight for about $50. Mount that in the garage attic, run the wire down through a neatly cut hole in the ceiling, and then pull the hoist harness ring right into the attic, while eliminating the foot or so of block and tackle on the manual hoist and snugging the top right against the ceiling. Top is significantly higher, and result is much less intrusive.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist & garage renovation advice pls