996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Curb Rash Repair - DC Metro Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Ed996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the post-primer picture - not yet sanded. Took about an hour to remove, mask, spray, reinstall.

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/WheelPrimer.JPG" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/WheelPrimer.JPG</a>
Old 06-21-2003, 05:42 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey Sam, that color I think is called Sterling Gray. That color is a special factory option, not sure about the price.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Ed996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This project became much more difficult after spraying the silver. The issue becomes trying to get a good mask line between where the repair is, and the rest of the wheel that you don't want to repaint. Perhaps the size of this repair made it more difficult, but I had to try again several times due to crisp mask lines instead of a feather. I ended up not masking the paint/no paint boundary on the wheel and using cardboard held an in away to help get a feather. It still isn't perfect but is an improvement. To all those who plan to do this - be prepared for some fiddling. Ed
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM
MikeP Long Island
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you reverse tape the boundary between the repair and original area? If not, it will be nearly impossible to get an unoticeable blend. Reverse taping will usually provide the blend you need.

Reverse taping is done by taping half of sticky side of the tape on the part you want to protect then roll the other half up and back loosely. This leaves only a soft edge of the sticky side of the tape. Remove it while the paint is wet; it will leave almost no paint edge. Wider tape is better than narrow tape for this.

Quick Reply: Curb Rash Repair - DC Metro Area