996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best Video Camera for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Video Camera for track days?

Hey all -

I have a DE event coming up and want to use some kind of vid. camera to record from the outside of the car. Curious what has worked for any of you? I was thinking of some sort of suction mount..... Maybe a micro camera hooked into my Sony DV Cam incar?

Would appreciate any ideas........

Thanks,
Jeev

Last edited by jeev; 02-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Jeev, make sure and check out my setup at the DE event in March. I use a Canon ZR series camera. The reason I do is that it shoots in 16x9 and my editing software on my computer (iMovie on the MAC) allows me to create a DVD in 16x9. This allows me to watch my video after the event on my 65" widescreen tv!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeev - I use a Canon Elura 40mc and have been really happy with it. I think the most important component is actually the mount as you want something solid & stable. Prior to cage bars - I borrowed a friend's ioport suction mount which did a great job providing a stable image.

This is the mount which we used: http://www.chasecam.com/mounts-suction.htm

Hope it helps!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:49 PM
bnewport
Racer

I've a Sony P200 digital camera taking MPEG movies and it works fine, it's mounted on a harness bar though.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

As others have stated, mounting is crucial for best picture.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You want one outside, right? First, check with the orginizers of the event you want to go to, because some don't want anything attached with duct-tape or what not, but actually have to be rigid mounted whether inside or out.

Next, you'd want a lipstick cam. There's tons available with wide ranging prices. Google with search words lipstick cam. I looked into it in the past. I ended up getting a Sony video cam (16x9 aspect, 20x zoom), with external video input jack for the lipstick cam. That way I can chose either an in-car view or lipstick view. Problem is, I am having so much fun with the camera as is I havent gotten the lipstick cam yet.

Or, better yet, do a search at the racing board here at rennlist for lipstick cam. You'll get more info than you want. Here's one thread: Video cam
Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good catch Palting. I just re-read his post and realized he is talking about outside not inside. Ooops. Anyway, Jeev, I will show you both the interior mount I use AND the exterior mount I have. It is a vacuum based suction based rally mount with a 50lb rated threshold. I used it on the interior before I had a harness bar and attached it inside to the rear glass.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:44 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LVDell
Good catch Palting. I just re-read his post and realized he is talking about outside not inside. Ooops. Anyway, Jeev, I will show you both the interior mount I use AND the exterior mount I have. It is a vacuum based suction based rally mount with a 50lb rated threshold. I used it on the interior before I had a harness bar and attached it inside to the rear glass.
Sounds good!!!! I will try the lipstick route. Thanks for all the great info guys!! See you at the track Dell!

Jeev

Quick Reply: Best Video Camera for track days?