Sponsored by:

Whats the cost of a PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:41 AM
kappa88af
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the cost of a PPI?

What should I expect to pay for a PPI (02 C4S)? Is it better to go to a dealer or good Porsche shop?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer is better.
u can ask them pull out warranty repair history.
cost is 2 hr labor.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:27 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a dealer. Two hours labor. $213.80.

Can they get more than warranty repair at their dealership? I was under the impression that they could not.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:04 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I went through an indy and paid $175 without compression.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:48 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Can they get more than warranty repair at their dealership? I was under the impression that they could not.
I paid about $500 for PPI w/ compression test at a Porsche dealer. A dealer will be able to pull up all warranty repairs done by any other Porsche dealer on that vehicle. They will also be able to pull up any non-warranty work they themselves performed. They will not be able to pull up non-warranty work done by another Porsche dealer, however they should be able to tell you which dealer originally sold the vehicle or which dealer likely serviced the vehicle so you can call that dealership directly. The dealers won't just print out the car's past service records for you without either the current or former owners' permission, but they will answer questions. It's like playing 20 questions, so make a list of things to ask about. The Porsche dealer can also give you the high end of estimated repair costs for issues found which can help you renegotiate the price. Also a Porsche dealer can tell you what options the car originally was sold with and all the codes.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 AM
wkl
Intermediate

Looking to find a reliable PPI for would-be-1st 996 as well -- the car is w/ Joe Rizza Porsche (in southern Chicago) and I am out of town. Should I let their service dept do the PPI or get another Porsche dealer?

It seem that getting the same dealership perform the PPI does not seem as impartial? But at the same time no sure if how I would get the car to another Porsche dealer.

A local independent Porsche shop quoted me 1-2 hr of labor + transportation fees (tow truck or pay to have one of them people drive).

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:09 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wkl
Looking to find a reliable PPI for would-be-1st 996 as well -- the car is w/ Joe Rizza Porsche (in southern Chicago) and I am out of town. Should I let their service dept do the PPI or get another Porsche dealer?

It seem that getting the same dealership perform the PPI does not seem as impartial? But at the same time no sure if how I would get the car to another Porsche dealer.

A local independent Porsche shop quoted me 1-2 hr of labor + transportation fees (tow truck or pay to have one of them people drive).

Thoughts?
Here's my $0.02:

If the car is being sold by a Porsche dealer, is it CPO? If not CPO, why not? Maybe it cannot pass the stringent CPO inspection (crashed perhaps) or the dealer doesn't want to repair it up to CPO standard. If the car is CPO then there is probably not much point getting a PPI because it should have had a CPO inspection and all issues should be repaired already. If you want extra peace of mind I suppose you could get an independent PPI if the dealer will let you. In either scenario I would not want the selling dealer to perform the PPI, there is a unavoidable conflict of interest. IMHO, unless the price is outstanding, I wouldn't pay Porsche dealer prices for a non-CPO car.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 PM
JJD996
Advanced

$175 W/O compression at a dealer.

Quick Reply: Whats the cost of a PPI?