Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are Bilstein Shocks Valved To Match Up With H&R Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 AM
CameronD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Bilstein Shocks Valved To Match Up With H&R Springs?

I just put springs on my 987S and I feel as though there is a bit of understeer now? I have read numerous postings on PCA's website that claim aftermarket springs when mated to stock shocks will inevitably destroy the shock very prematurely and the spring rate will be way off in comparison to factory specs therefore shocks will not bump and rebound properly.
I was considering putting Bilsteins on at the time of spring instal but I wanted to see for myself if the handling would be off. I have already noticed that the car understeers now (a little bit) and the car seems a bit off. I simply couldn't stay stock as I have 19s on the car and the gap was killing me. I also found the suspension to be just a little soft. I also have H&R sway bars on order. I don't track the car but drive my cars aggressively on the street. I just hope I don't ruin the balance of the car.
What are your thoughts guys?
(I'd have posted in the 987 forum but it seems that it is fairly dead and this one is alot more active with people doing more modding)
Old 02-14-2006, 02:22 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The OEM shocks are not valved correctly for lowering springs such as the H&R's that you now have. I would call Bilstein and discuss your set up and driving requirements so they can custom valve a set. Adjustible sway bars will help you tune out some of the understeer that you are now experiencing. I would put everything on the car, get it aligned and then adjust the sway bars. Unless you work with a shop that is experienced with the 987, you will have to fiddle with the bars to get the right setting for your needs.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM
CameronD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely won't be tracking the car. I am a performance street driver. Don't want the car to drive nicely if I am going straight line. Or should I say be comfortable and not really rough and overly stiff.
I guess I will call Bilstein today and see what they have to say. I definitely want to eliminate the understeer. My 99 c2 had understeer and I hated it. I think the suspension wasn't set up properly. It is hard finding someone that knows there stuff when dialing in and adjusting everything. Anyone can sell you a product but not everyone knows what to do with it. When I called H&R today they weren't very helpful. They said the springs work well with the stock shocks. I would disagree as would several of the PCA guys who recommend strongly against going aftermarket spring with stock shocks.
So maybe I should get some Bilsteins or Konis.

Quick Reply: Are Bilstein Shocks Valved To Match Up With H&R Springs?