Sponsored by:

stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 AM
boliver1001
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post stereo questions

Does anyone know the exact size of the speaker drivers in the 996, including the woofers in the doors?

Does anyone have simple instructions for do-it-yourself replacement of the just the speakers?

What kind of amp comes with the system with the door speaker (hi-fi?) package?

Recommendations for replacement speakers that could be installed by a non-pro? Focal? I guess I need efficient drivers if I want to keep the original amp.

Has anyone tried any of the self contained powered subwoofers like Bazooka?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It varied somewhat from year to year. For instance here is the spec for the MY2002 Bose system:

Dash panel 2x 8.9 cm midrange units 2x 4.3 cm tweeters
Doors 2x 11.4 cm woofer/mid-range speakers in 5.5 liter bass reflex housing
Rear side panelling 2x 8.9 cm midrange units
2x 4.3 cm tweeters
Behind rear backrests 2x 13.3 cm woofers in 13.8 litre bass reflex housing
Old 12-02-2002, 03:05 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

pls go to a thread named 'audio system upgrade' and read along..

wael
Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

Question

Any specs on the MY2001 would help me out a bunch. Also, any tips on pulling the speakers and re-seating them to eliminate a buzz?

One last question ... I'm wondering if anyone knows of a CD changer that is capable of MP3 playback that I can swap out my current one with.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:38 PM
boliver1001
8th Gear

ditto - mine is 2001 as well.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:27 AM
elias
AutoX

Mine is 2001 as well. I also have the occasional buzz. I have been contemplating a total sytem install. However, I don't really trust any of the local stereo places. It seems in the past the panels never fit quite right afterwards...

I thought about doing it myself; now that we have about 4 inches of snow in Ohio. I figured I could take my time and do it right.

I have heard someting about a baffle in the doors that needs to be fabbed when changing the 6.5 in woofer? Is this correct. Any insight to this (with material spec. and dimensions) would be appreciated.

Ciao

Elias
Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Hi Guys....

Well I went through the same thought process. I kept the factory head unit since it was really not a bad unit (Indash single cd).

However I replaced everything else.....

If you have the Hi-Fi System from 2000 or 2001 you can put standard speakers in the dash and in the rear. The ones in the door are NOT stock! The speakers in the door are part of a base tube that the factory thought would sound good....(mistake!) If you take them out they have to do some work around the area where the speakers goes. I don't recommend this for the novice or for a shop not know for there hi-end car installs!

If you look at my signature below you'll see what I have installed. I love the sound, and if you have a particular question I'll be happy to answer. The MB Quart-Q's are great and the cross overs are a work of art. You can spend more...but I don't know if you'll be able to here your extra money.

I listen to all kinds of music, the system I have will really make you want to sit in the car and listen. Unless your into HEAVY THUMP...In which case, I can give you some tips as to what to change (beside your taste.. :-) ) in the config I have.

I don't recommend doing it yourself if you going to do the doors!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:16 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Armando Ramirez:
<strong>... If you have the Hi-Fi System from 2000 or 2001 you can put standard speakers in the dash and in the rear. The ones in the door are NOT stock! The speakers in the door are part of a base tube that the factory thought would sound good....(mistake!) If you take them out they have to do some work around the area where the speakers goes. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now this is all starting to make some sense. Thanks Armando! ... Any more details on that base tube?

I really hate the sound of my base and this sounds like this could be the issue.

The other thing I hate about the sound is that the mid range is way to bright or distorted or something! I'm thinking it's because the mid-range speakers are mounted on the dash and it reflects off the windshield. Any thoughts on that Armondo. Again thanks ... you have already shed a lot of light on this subject.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

[quote] PETE: "The other thing I hate about the sound is that the mid range is way to bright or distorted or something! I'm thinking it's because the mid-range speakers are mounted on the dash and it reflects off the windshield. Any thoughts on that Armondo. Again thanks ... you have already shed a lot of light on this subject."
<hr></blockquote>

Pete, the dash location on the 996 is actually fine for the mid-rage and tweeters. The problem is in the speakers, you should replace them with a good 4" mid-range and a couple of silk-dome tweeters for a softer sound. MB-Quart, like Armando mentions, are one of my favorite quality brands for speakers along with Boston Acustics, Focal and Polk.

Another problem you may be having is that you may be laking good amplification, in which case the sound becomes distorted as you raise the volume and also in moments when there is a lot of bass, the differents sounds/freqs become all mixed together and distorted, loosing its clarity becoming anoying. Solution: put a decent amp in the trunk, which is a must if you want to power good quality speakers since their magnet is going to be much larger than the poor stock speakers. Also you will need an amp if you are going to add one or two subwoffers.

About the pre-maid custom enclusures such as the bazooka or JBL tube enclosure. As far as the shape of the box (wether its a tube or a cube) it doesn´t matter. The sound of the box is influenced by which configuration you choose: sealed enclusore = tight bass (ex:rock music), bandpass enclusure=booming bass (ex: rap music), reflex enclosure= in between the two.

Best choice for a 996 is a sealed box because its much smaller than the other for the same size subwoffer speaker. Also large subwofer (15-16")speakers tend to be more booming than smaller (8-10") subs. So most usual config is one or two 8" or 10".

I listen to all types of music, from classical, blues, rock, opera, electronic, trance, R&B, etc and for me 8" is to small to perform with all types of music and one sub is too weak for my taste. Its a matter of taste, for some people 150HP on their car is OK. So for me two 10" in a sealed enclosure is the smallest configuration that I considered enough for my 996.

I suggest you get a custom made enclosure instead of buying a pre-maid box because the quality is better if custom made and also its hard to adapt a pre-maid box to a 996. You will end up getting a smaller box (ex: 8" bazooka tube) to be able to fit it compared to a custom (ex: two 10" box).

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: stereo questions