Coolant From Exhaust Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:14 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Coolant From Exhaust Pipe?

I took my car on a trip to Las Vegas this weekend and the overheat light went on so I pulled over, allowed the car to cool down and drove the rest of the way with no problems. Today when I was driving the light came on again. So I let the car cool and did a visual inspection. Upon inspection of the rear of the car I saw some green fluid coming from the tail pipes. I am assuming this is from a blown head gasket or cracked head/block and the coolant is seeping into the engine? Am I wrong in assuming this? Was this a common problem in the 996? I will be contacting the dealer as soon as I can about this problem.
-Andrew
Old 02-18-2003, 08:07 PM
CameronTX
Advanced

Andrew
I'm asuming that you've never had your coolant tank changed? 99's are notorious for cracked resevoirs. Bring it into the dealer and let them change it for you. This would be the case if coolant is leaking from the left tailpipe.
How many miles are on your car? Is it still under warranty? My car is in the process of having the engine/rads/hoses changed because of intermixing. You know this is happening when your coolants colour is milky and the smell from the burning coolant buring in the engine is horrible.
Email me at cdelpellar@austin.rr.com
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what was happening! My car is still under warranty so it should be no problem for the dealer to replace. I am just curious as to why the coolant would leak out the tail pipe? Thanks, that’s a big relief.
-Andrew
Old 02-18-2003, 09:03 PM
CameronTX
Advanced

It doesn't. It gathers on the top of the pipe and collects at the bottom the tip appearing to come out of the exaust. At least that is what mine did.
Andrew how much more warranty do you have. How many miles on your car.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:19 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is still under warranty for another year and it has 32K miles on it.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Rapsta
6th Gear

The coolant tank failed and got it replaced. It means the engine has to be dropped out to do so and charges are accordingly high.
It was also out of warranty.

1998 Carrera 2
Bought the car Feb 2001, 36,000 Kms

Now at 82,000 Kms Feb 2003

My issue is;
Halfway through year 2001, I was having persistant cooling problems, coolant leaking, temp sensor blinking, and kept asking for the service centre to sort it. They replaced the Cap on the coolant reservoir, then clips on the hoses. I think they may have also changed the sensor but am not sure about that one.

Just prior to the warranty running out Feb 2001 I asked them to resolve the problem which kept coming back.

I was unaware at the time that there was a TSB notice on the tank.

The leaking was on and off between services and it seemed like one of those unexplained things. I travel overseas a lot so for most of 2002 I was away and the car didn't get a lot of use. When it did the intermittant problem kept reminding me I would say something at the next service.

Then in Dec 2002 the problem became chronic and I was having to fill the tank every day. I took it in for 80/k service and pointed it out. The tank was determined as having a split and needed replacing.

My question is,
Shouldn't the tank have been diagnosed much earlier so the issue could have been resolved while the warranty was valid.
They are looking to charge me and obviously I am not happy that the problem was

1. never resolved
2. diagnosed properly

Any ideas, advice on how I should go about sorting this?
Old 02-23-2003, 09:06 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it required to drop the engine for this problem?
-Andrew
Old 02-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Rapsta
6th Gear

Engine has to come out to replace the coolant tank.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:14 AM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Took the car to the dealership and they replaced the reservoir along with a few other things; front windshield replaced due to bubbling in tint, rear main seal, roof weatherproofing and about 2 more pages of small stuff. My car is going out of warranty soon so I told them to do a full inspection. Thanks for the help!
-Andrew

Quick Reply: Coolant From Exhaust Pipe?