996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Griot's Garage Car Care Products

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Ed996-2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also had good luck with Griot's. Very good results from using the Dawn wash, clay, machine polish #3 with porter cable, followed by best of show wax.

Zaino is very popular with people because the synthetic shine is said to last longer than carnuaba. I have heard lengthy debates as to whether the Zaino shine is as deep and rich as the wax shine, but both approaches seem to yield good results.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:48 PM
dcvenom
Cruisin'

When you say dawn wash. Are you referring to dish Soap???
Old 05-03-2003, 05:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by dcvenom:
<strong>When you say dawn wash. Are you referring to dish Soap???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yeap, to be used ONLY when stripping the wax or preping the car for clay, etc. For regular maintenance/ washing after you have done a zaino or wax treatment do not use Dawn.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

What do yo mean when you say to use "clay"? Is that simply a wax paste? Or is it something to remove scratches?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-16-2003, 06:38 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clay is actually a piece of clay and you spray a lubricant like quick detail and then glide the clay over the paint to remove surface contaminants. YOu should strip all the wax and stuff with the blue dawn first of course. BTW the products that I used in my ultimate detail rival any zaino combo. Zaino and black cars don't mix well. Their scratch remover I believe z5 or whatever doesn't work for jack. I am going off the meca autotopia research. It is good stuff, but just not the best overall for each different step.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:38 PM
cableguy
Racer

Clay is exactly that....Clay!! IT's a clay bar used to remove contaminats in your paint that polish wont get out. Pretty cools stuff!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Sean,

Thanks for the insight.

Mark
Old 06-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Erik H
Advanced

I have used Griot's for these last couple of years. I have found them easy to use with excellent results.

My favorite product is the Speed Shine, Microfiber cloths, and lint free paper towels.

I have a question for other Speed Shine users. I park my car in a garage at work. The garage is near a freeway so I keep a bottle of Speed Shine in the trunk and give my car a wipe down after work. My question is, on the initial wipe down, I am removing a fine layer of dirt. I'm worried this is scratching the paint. I've thought about first using one of those hand held dust mop thingees to first remove the dirt, then the Speed Shine, but I'm worried this would do even more damage. Any thoughts or techniques?

TIA

Erik
Old 06-16-2003, 07:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts
if you are diligent and **** enough to speed shine after work everyday, why not wait until you get home, hose the car with water to loosen up the dirt (as long as you got enough wax on the car, water will bead up quick and easy to wipe off), while car is wet, spray speed shine over car, then wipe off speedshine and water as you would normally. IMHO, that's less likely to scratch the paint. but then you have silver car, like mine, it's hard to see scartches.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Cableguy,

Thanks for the help too.

Mark
Old 06-17-2003, 10:33 AM
cableguy
Racer

Erik,

If you have a good coat of wax on your car, I would lightly dust the car first with a California duster, then do the speed shine. The duster works great, just don't use pressure.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
PeterC4Cab
Advanced

SPR mentioned that zaino products don't mix well with black cars? I am planning on doing zaino process on my new black c4 cab this weekend. now I am worried. Who used the Zaino on their black cars?? and how did it turn out??

thanks,

Peter
Old 06-17-2003, 09:18 PM
LanceK
Pro

Ditto...Just gettin' ready to apply first application of Zaino myself.

Tell me it's ok!

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage Car Care Products