996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FINALLY...dyno comparisons pre- and post-mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The discrepency between the Mustang chart of the "baseline" car and the Dynojet chart of the "baseline" car is quite consistent with my experience with load dynos (both Mustang and Dyno Dynamics) vs. Dynojet. The baseline Vivid car(with intake and exhaust mods) is showing approx. 9% less peak hp than the stock EVOMS car. This suggests to me that the Vivid car actually has more hp than stock because commonly there appears to be a 10-15 percent discrepency between the two types of dynos.

P.S.
>>>>As for the lower rear wheel horsepower, the deficit to horsepower at the crank could be due to anything including drivetrain,<<<<

Drivetrain losses are routinely overstated (Duh!). Think about where these power losses go..... they turn into heat. How many transmissions boil over at the track. How many CV boots melt. Not too many.

Last edited by Russ Murphy; 01-27-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Hmmm... each grid in the plot is approx 25 HP, so the smoothing may render the gains statistically much less significant. I have also read that Mustang dynos tend to read lower, though.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Where's Karlooz? I know he did some dyno runs awhile back, maybe he can chime in with his results
Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 PM
DBJones
Track Day

I have had previous cars dynoed on a Dynojet and a Mustang dyno. The Mustang is always lower.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys don't have dyno days? Is dyno'ing taboo too?

Originally Posted by vividracing
OK here we go fellas. The two different graphs were done here in house at VividRacing. We have an AWD Mustang dyno. Now for those of you that know anything about dynos you will know that Mustangs read lower than a dynojet. Now for the gentlemen that posted the graph from EVOMS, notic what dyno that is on. Yes you are correct, a dynojet. Now our dyno reads low. All dynos are different, none read the same. It is impossible for every one to be the same. I am not going to get into the differences on the 2 dynos but the differences are big and that is why the numbers differ so much. Now on to the smoothing. The first test was ORIGINALLY done using different mustang software than what we are currently and i used a higher smoothing factor but since the original I have stopped using such a high smoothing factor so that i can see exactly how a motor is performing through out the entire power band. We figure that it is better to test real world products and show real world results. The chip made a big difference in the total drivablity of the car, I do recommend it. So if you have any more questions about the dyno numbers or smoothing please feel free to PM me and I can answer any more questions.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:10 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vividracing
The chip made a big difference in the total drivablity of the car, I do recommend it.
Maybe in the track drivability of the car, but the loss of area under the HP and TQ curves in the lower 60% of the power band are going to result in a loss of street drivability. Since street driving accounts for the vast majority of overall driving, I'd say total drivability is now not as good!

But I can't say that more HP is a bad thing...

Quick Reply: FINALLY...dyno comparisons pre- and post-mods