996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Street race fatal crash linked to video game

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I understand why I used to keep poking people in the eyes when I was a kid....watching too many 3 Stooges movies! It really wasn't my fault afterall.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
I think these games instill a false sense of driving ability in many kids.
Methinks it is just "youth" that instills the false sense of driving ability. The game is in no way to blame for this crash. Stupid kids raised by stupid parents are to blame. I hope the family of the cab driver sues the parents for everything they've got.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
Methinks it is just "youth" that instills the false sense of driving ability. The game is in no way to blame for this crash. Stupid kids raised by stupid parents are to blame. I hope the family of the cab driver sues the parents for everything they've got.

Easy cmoss, you were a kid once too and Im sure you had your stupid days just like everyone else. Humans learn by mistakes, its sad but true. Ive grown up with many kids that were total rebels that were from very wealthy families with smartass parents that just did dumb **** for dumb reasons so you can't blame the parents in such case. I've actually learn a lot from their mistakes.

If they blame the video game for the tragic incident, what are they going to use as an escape goat for such incidents that had happen in the past when video games were pacman/centepedes??
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by vove
If they blame the video game for the tragic incident, what are they going to use as an escape goat for such incidents that had happen in the past when video games were pacman/centepedes??
Well, since pacman, obesity has been a problem in the US. I smell a lawsuit!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA!

Originally Posted by Joe2000C4Cab
Well, since pacman, obesity has been a problem in the US. I smell a lawsuit!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
thewump
Instructor

Firstly, a bit of a witch hunt.. 20 years ago every time a kid did something out of line it was Ozzy Ozbornes fault.. You know - that guy who was recently invited to a White House luncheon.

Having said that, a couple of experiences:

1) After playing a driving game all day, I pulled a Uturn in my truck across a central reservation that was totally insane - and I didn't think twice about it. Afterwards I thought WTF! and realized that I'd slipped out of reality.

2) Rumor has it that in the early days of full driving simulators designed to help make Mercedes cars better in emergency situations, the test drivers were getting into accidents. The simulations were all about people driving out infront of the cars, and how the car handles and what happened in the accidents. Could be folklore, but the theory was that the drivers got so used to just being able to restart after an accident that they thought nothing of having one.

At the end of the day though - does that mean that a Video game manufacturer is some how responsible for people taking the fantasy to real life? I think not.

Keith
Old 01-29-2006, 04:53 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

When I was 17 I had a '69 Cutlass that was completely overhauled and souped up. My Dad and I rebuilt the engine (350 rocket) in the garage and that thing had insane HP. So anyway, it was a convertible and my friends used to pile in and we would drive around town risking our lives every night. I never thought twice about going over 100mph - with no working seatbelts in the car (literally- NO seatbelts), balding tires, a tired suspension, really bad brakes - but insane power and speed.

I would race anyone, anywhere - it didn't matter because I was an invincible kid. I'm sure if there had been a cool racing game back then I would have played it and liked it, but the fact is I was just a stupid kid who thought I would live forever.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Update...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
The teens spent the weekend in jail, which Manning said was an ordeal for his client.
“He’s dealt with that as one might expect an 18-year-old who has never been in jail to deal with it. It’s been very difficult, very difficult.”
Widening the backdoor a little does hurt, I can imagine.

What pisses me off, is he killed this guy, but he will NOt see the inside of a jail cell again after he's set free - **** the 'justice' (haha) system
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Crivens
Instructor

Before the blame lands in the lap of video games people surely the car companies have to stop making cars that could possibly kill first? I think the car killed before the video game did. When we are all driving sponge cars chained together and towed at a sensible 2mph then the maybe the nanny state will be happy.

www.red964.com/html/dyndex.php
www.projectsonly.co.uk
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I don't think anyone is really 'blaming' video games. It's just a case of kids feeling invincible and having their driving skills falsely inflated whilst 'driving' in a simulation. Throw in a small dose of stupidity, and this is the result.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:26 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Before the blame lands in the lap of video games people surely the car companies have to stop making cars that could possibly kill first? I think the car killed before the video game did.

Let's face it, neither the video game nor the cars killed the man. The kids killed the man. Although in today's society, people are never held accountable for their actions. Irresponsible drivers of all ages have raced on the streets many decades before video games. Go to any car forum and do a search on the words "killed" or "top speed" and you'll have hundreds of posts to read.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

look up Mary Jo Kopechne
Old 02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Not to be one to revive an aging thread without new content, but look what I found cruising the tivo TV guide web pages. I wonder what kind of a slant A&E will put on this...

Street Racing: The Need for Speed
Racers have been killed in illegal street races in Toronto.
Tue 2/7 8:00 PM 47 AETVP
Duration: 1:00
No Rating
Documentary, Special, Auto Racing, Documentary, Sports

Quick Reply: Street race fatal crash linked to video game