Sponsored by:

Regarding racing school ie Russell/Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 07:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Post Regarding racing school ie Russell/Thunderhill

Hi there and good day to all!! I plan to take High performance racing classes for both Russell Racing as well as the one for Thunderhill. My question is has anyone done something similar or even better taken these coarses and what you thought of them. Any info would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards. Mike
Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 PM
NASA racer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I used to work for Russell (at Riverside). A professional racing school will give you alot more concentrated and careful instruction than a "street school" like T-hill offers. However, there's alot to be said for running your own car at a track to get a feel (as long as you accept the liability if it gets wrecked...which CAN and DOES happen)...but I'd highly recommend doing the pro school first.

Keep in mind that Sears Point is currently under massive restoration...I'd wait until it's completed (some time in March) before attending Russell. You might also look into Skip Barber at Laguna Seca in that area...similar program.

I prefer single-seat open-wheel cars for training because they are not very forgiving and VERY small mistakes are VERY obvious from outside the car so the idea that the instructors can't see the little mistakes you're making unless they're riding along is not true.

Also the three-day racing schools are a FUN experience...in the two years I worked at Russell, I don't EVER remember anyone not having a great time...and the majority were not on their way to get a racing license, they just wanted to DO IT!

You might also look in to NASA in your area for track/instruction events.

NASA website
Skip Barber website
Jim Russell website
Old 01-24-2002, 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a great job working for Russell Racing. One question is Russell Racing also has a racing program where you use your own car as well as Thunderhill so is it to my understanding you would recommend first racing with their cars? Both Russell and Thunderhill has driving program where you use your own car but I wonder would there be a difference between the two other then Russell does charge more. I've heard great comments with Russell but haven't heard nething with Thunderhill. I plan to start in April with Russell and this coming february with Thunderhill. Thanks. Mike
Old 01-25-2002, 12:46 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I've been to a handful of driving events: a few autocrosses and an autocross school, a TracQuest driver's ed event at Willow Springs, and a half-day course at Russell. Each event was worth the time & money, as it was fun, safe, and taught me something.

What are your objectives? Do you just want to learn how to drive your car better on the street, or are you planning to compete in Time Trials or Club Racing?

What's your level of experience?

Is the whole 911/rear engine car thing new to you?

Which Russell class are you considering? The half-day Test Drive, the 3-Day Techniques of Racing, or one of the classes they offer in your street car?

Anyway, as far as Russell went, I had an absolute blast! All I could think of was how to get more track time. I loved the little Formula car. I know, it's not a powerhouse, and the suspension/aerodynamics aren't as tuned as their other Formula cars, but it sure was fun! Great way to learn how to heel & toe. And after driving the Formula car for a half day, my 911 felt as plush as a town car.

With the Russell class, you learn the concepts and get to apply them on the track. But the Formula cars feel different then your street car.

-- Melissa
Old 01-25-2002, 01:02 PM
cooper996
Instructor

I have taken both the introduction to racing course with Russell, a 3 day course with the Mitsubishi powered open wheelers and the Advanced course with the Mazda powered formula Russell. I took my 16 year old son with me and we both learned so much about balance, braking, lines etc. Everything we learned could be translated to street use ans we are both better safer drivers. The instruction was first class both from an instructioin and a feed back perspective.
Like a previous reply said, make a mistake in the Formula Russell and you are into the tires backwards at turn 2, lift at speed in the carousel and wave your deductible goodbye. It was the biggest aderenalin rush going side by side with my son into turn 11 and trying to outbrake one another.
Driving my 996 at track days is much more enjoyable after attending Russell.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

From the above posts it sounds like alot of un and looking forward to attending the coarses. As far as objectives goes I would like to search the true ability of my 996 and as well as myself as I know learning how to use your car to its limits(or close to) makes you a better and safer driver on the street. This will be my first experience and who knows club racing and time trials maybe next in line as well as racing formula one cars. Thasnks for the great info-i'm looking forward to it all. Mike

Quick Reply: Regarding racing school ie Russell/Thunderhill