Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Found a 'gash' on a car I want to buy.. help me evaluate plz!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:41 AM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Is it Porsche CPO?? or Dealer CPO?? Porsche CPO isn't supposed to have any dings or dents or visible repairs. Dealer CPO is a different dog!! I would definetly want an independent eval of that problem before I plunked my hard earned money down.
the car is from a Porsche dealership that sells new Porsches, and some Certified PreOwned ones too... i think that means that it is Porsche CPO.
Old 01-23-2006 | 07:20 AM
fast1
Race Car

Is it Porsche CPO?? or Dealer CPO?? Porsche CPO isn't supposed to have any dings or dents or visible repairs. Dealer CPO is a different dog!!

If the car is sold at a Porsche Dealership, the CPO warranty would be through Porsche. The Porsche Dealers near me do not repair any body damage prior to sale. They want the potential buyers to see that the damage is superficial. Most Porsche buyers look very closely for evidence of body damage, and it's not that difficult to spot freshly painted areas even when they are professionally blended into adjacent areas. After the buyer and seller agree on a price, a conditional contract is made whereby the buyer agrees to purchase the car if the car is repaired to his satisfaction.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:41 AM
delirium
Racer

The dealer agreed to go around the car with me and measure the paint around the car with a paint meter.

I guess my #1 concern is whether or not the frame would be hit in this type of case... the dealer says that the frame is not that far out & that the frame ends around where the wheel well starts.

Is that rocker panel in the picture removeable? Maybe I can ask the dealer to take it off for me to see whats inside.
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:24 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Frame

Originally Posted by delirium
The dealer agreed to go around the car with me and measure the paint around the car with a paint meter.

I guess my #1 concern is whether or not the frame would be hit in this type of case... the dealer says that the frame is not that far out & that the frame ends around where the wheel well starts.

Is that rocker panel in the picture removeable? Maybe I can ask the dealer to take it off for me to see whats inside.
Not trying to hijack thread but, I'm confused as to where you are talking about that the frame ends, in general is the ending location the start of the inside of the tire towards the outside. And is the frame damaged in the image I attached?
Old 01-23-2006 | 02:56 PM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by Mother
Not trying to hijack thread but, I'm confused as to where you are talking about that the frame ends, in general is the ending location the start of the inside of the tire towards the outside. And is the frame damaged in the image I attached?
Not sure if that car has frame damage, but the dealer said that the frame ends pretty much where the door sill starts, not sure if he was accurate tho. Would be nice to know. Anyone?
Old 01-23-2006 | 03:49 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Why not have the dealer put the car on the rack and have a look yourself. If the frame is involved, you should be able to see the dent protrude inwards. Have them remove any underpinnings that would hide damage. My guess from what you have said is no way the frame is involved. If it were, and the dealer knew, it wouldn't be CPO-able and they would have wholesaled the car out. Now is your opportunity to get some free side skirts if you want. If you get the skirts, they will cover up the dent and I wouldn't care if it was repaired.
Old 01-23-2006 | 04:25 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Default There is no "frame"

Originally Posted by delirium
Not sure if that car has frame damage, but the dealer said that the frame ends pretty much where the door sill starts, not sure if he was accurate tho. Would be nice to know. Anyone?
Like just about every other car, these cars are unibody construction. There is no frame per se. The entire structure carries the loads, although there are structural members carrying large loads. The question should be whether the integrity of the stucture has been compromised and, assuming not, whether the repair was properly done. A body shop doing high end work should be able to evaluate the car and suggest an appropriate repair.

Quick Reply: Found a 'gash' on a car I want to buy.. help me evaluate plz!