Sponsored by:

996 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:15 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
people that haven't had problems with their m96 always seem to blame issues other people have on the fact that the previous owner treated it like crap... i find it hard to believe, or i have yet to meet a single porsche car owner that treats their car this way.. most porsche owners are the most **** retentive about their cars more than any other marque out there...
I agree with your assessment, but remember you did quailfy your statement with most. My son worked at a Porsche Dealership as a lot boy during the summer, and he was amazed at how some of the 996s that were traded in were beaten to hell. Of course the Porsche Dealer didn't sell those cars but wholesaled them. I'm thinking that you may have bought one of those wholesaled cars that may have been patched up by another Dealer.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:10 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people think they are treating their car right, when in fact they are just doing it harm.

For instance:
Driving around in 6th gear wherever possible to keep the RPMs down. This only LUGS the engine and, in fact, is bad for it. This is the kind of driving that will create those carbon deposits on the pistons, and those carbon deposits make their way into the engine and cause ALL SORTS of problems. Leaving the car in cruise control on minor hills on the highway day in and day out will do the same thing. Using the RPMS is GOOD for the engine- it keeps the pistons clean! Make a trip to the redline on that entrance ramp.. get it into the torque band for passing that car. USE the engine, don't baby it - and it'll last! This goes for all engines and is common sense.. but many people just don't get it.

Another BAD thing is garage queen cars. These are owned by people who simply want a trophy car, and keep it parked all the time, and only take it out on special occasions- when the conditions are right. Cars like this are more prone to oil leaks and gasket failures, and I'm sure several other symptoms. The fact is- you gotta exercise your car and USE it - don't just park it and think you are doing a good thing. Gaskets and seals can get dried up from non-use, and if the piston rings haven't seated properly, than that means that oil could possibly leak by the rings as the car is just sitting there with its horizontal pistons.

How about breaking the car in? This has been discussed, but people think they are doing a good thing by keeping the RPMS under 4000 during break-in, when in fact that is absolutely the wrong thing to do for break-in. Your piston rings REQUIRE high rpms in order to seat properly - WITHIN THE FIRST COUPLE HUNDRED MILES. Babying the car during this crucial period means that your rings will not seat properly, you'll burn oil, your pistons will be prone to carbon deposits, and your engine life will SUFFER! Drive it hard without abusing it - use those rpms without lugging it.

Last edited by ElTorrente; 01-21-2006 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 996 Reliability