Sponsored by:

CDR-23 Auxiliary Input?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Gerlin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CDR-23 Auxiliary Input?

I want to hook up a MP3 player to my CDR-23 radio (with Bose/no CD changer) without using a FM modulator.

With the older radios, an optional cable is available from Becker. I talked to Becker's parts department and was told that they think the cable will work. Though I am afraid the CDR-23 doesn't have the same connectors due to the MOST bus technology.

Is there an "auxiliary" input for the CDR-23 radio?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on doing this?
Old 04-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My understanding is no.
Try asking on <a href="http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/" target="_blank">The Becker Board</a>
Old 04-26-2003, 05:18 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

What's wrong with the FM modulator?

w
Old 04-26-2003, 07:36 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you already have an Ipod you should think about getting the itrip...it's a wireless modulator (programable) to be released shortly - only $35.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:20 PM
pingu_c4s
Advanced

Its hard to find a good clear station here in L.A.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:46 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in general, you'll be MUCH happier if you can hard-wire the ipod in - i used a modulator for about 3 months, but if you do longer cross-country drives (or in and out of a couple of media markets with different stations...) it'll drive you NUTS keeping up with finding a clear station. hard-wire thru an AUX is THE way to go....(i replaced my head unit with one that has an aux-in - very happy ipod now!)
Old 07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no aux input on a CDR-23.

<a href="http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/msg/4777.html" target="_blank">Horst</a>
Old 07-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Gerlin
4th Gear

A follow up on what I have found since April...

I agree, as far as I know there is no functional aux-input on the CDR-23. The aux cable for the earlier Becker head units fits the connectors on the back, though there is no way to enable it. I got the cable, and tried about every key combination in the hope that there might be a way, but no luck.

So I decided an in-line modulator would be the next best way to go. However, the CRD-23 has a new antenna connector that there are apparently no adapters available for yet. (I read that Horst at Becker may be getting some build in the future).

So I am still out of luck using my MP3 player except with the external modulator... and yes the sound quality is annoying at best.

If anyone has accomplished more with a CDR-23, or has found antenna adapters, please speak up!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:54 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Got an IPod for fathers day and love it. I'm also frustrated with the lack of an input on the CDR-23. Anyway to replace the CDR=23 for another unit with an aux input without scrapping the whole Bose system??
Old 07-02-2003, 11:06 PM
FELKER
Racer

One thing to try to get AUX on the CDR-23, but this is only speculation....

If you install a CD-changer, the PST-2 has to be used to "enable" the input... so there may well be an AUX enable via the PST-2 or at least enable the CD-changer "ON" and see is the audio input might work... all speculation on my part... I do not have access to a PST-2 or a dealer will to try..... anyone have access to see what the PST-2 can do?

Horst has posted "The PST-2 is needed to enable functions"... ;-)
Old 07-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

John,

As I understand it, the CDR-23 uses the MOST fiber bus to communicate with the CD changer now. If this is true, then even if it is enabled via a PST-2, I doubt if the Aux input connectors will be enabled. I think these connectors are just left over from the CDR-220 and not used on the CDR-23 except for power, telephone mute, and speakers.

Karl
Old 07-03-2003, 12:44 PM
FELKER
Racer

KARL,

You are correct, but where does it go if there is no AMP? The Cd-changer does not require the HI/hi or Bose option.. Like I said.. just speculation. If the "vestidual "inputs" are left from the CDR-220 then the AUX enable maybe still there...
Old 07-04-2003, 12:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is another option to consider.

You may have more success replacing the headunit with a MY02 (non MOST, line level analog input) Porsche/Becker headunit. That will allow you access to the analog AUX input via the rear cable (see previous posts)
This of course is predicated on the assumption that with an MP3 player you will NEVER want to hook up a CD Changer, as the only connection in the vehicle is plastic optical fiber (MOST) between the headunit and the changer location.

MOST was never designed for aftermarket considerations, only for vehicle level OEM integration...trust me, I designed the MOST DSP amp for Porsche, Audi and Mercedes. There are currently NO aftermarket MOST devices (headunits, aux adapters, etc) yet available. Not because of any technical considerations (I could design a MOST AUX input device in a couple of hours), just licensing and software considerations.
I have posted threads on MOST in the past on the 996 and 996TT boards, in case you are interested further.
Happy 4th of July,
Old 07-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Gerlin
4th Gear

I have the Bose option. It is my understanding that I cannot replace the head unit with a 2002 model (or aftermarket) without replacing the amplifier as well.

Can the existing amplifier be used with analog inputs? If not has anyone replaced the amplifier and kept the existing speakers?

I am at this point trying to keep the cost down.

Quick Reply: CDR-23 Auxiliary Input?