Sponsored by:

TechArt mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 09:52 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TechArt mufflers

Greetings. I own an air cooled 911, but a friend of mine needs some info on TechArt mufflers he is installing on his 2000 996 The big question is: any real improvement other than sound? Should his swap include headers? Also, can you recommend an "cold-air" intake system that will work with his Strosek rear wing?

TODDs
Old 04-25-2003, 01:36 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me know if you get more info on the techart mufflers. Is he getting the race version or touring version? Where is he planning to get them from. Maybe we can do a group buy to get a discount.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2003, 09:53 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I have ridden in and heard the sound of the tech art. A bit more of a bitey sound at higher rpm's, but not a huge improvement.

I have heard thought that Tech Art's was one of only a very small few exhaust systems to boost power.

but I wouldn't look to exhaust to boost power.
If you want a nice sound check out Gemballa's. they sound nice.

If you want more power you really wont get it anywhere, except if you replace the cats with GT3 sport cats.

Also by going to an equal length header you will get a real nice burbling sound especially when backing off.

Anyways if I were you, I would just look to changing the exhuast for a sound improvement and not a power improve, else you will be surely disappointed.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts
What RR said.

I checked all around and anyone in the know says there is no HP improvement associated with changing mufflers, oweing to the fact that Porsche did the design as well as they have. I went with B&B because they were available cheap and the change in sound has significantly improved my driving experience. This is in part due to the dissapointing axhaust tone that you get from the stock mufflers.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:44 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

Sanchez,

I have the GHL stainless steel exhaust and headers and the BMC cold air intake. I note that you live in Boca. I live in South Florida too. I can recommend a good local shop for upgrades, if you or your friend is interested.
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Saleen Explorer-XP8
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slodrivingmike:
<strong>Sanchez,

I have the GHL stainless steel exhaust and headers and the BMC cold air intake. I note that you live in Boca. I live in South Florida too. I can recommend a good local shop for upgrades, if you or your friend is interested.
Regards,
Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hey whats up guys, 1st post and I love this forum and Porsches, I've lurked on here long enough lol.

Slodrivingmike - We are thinking about getting a 996 at the end of this summer, and I'm already planning on what mods we will do. I have always heard great things about GHL and read about them on this site, but have never heard them before, I would love to check out your car sometime and hear what it sounds like. I live in Boca also by the way, I go to Lynn University.

How does it sound anyway? I'm more of a person that wants a loud and aggressive sounding exhaust (had flowmaster 40's, custom h-pipe and headers on the Explorer I had).

I'm thinking headers and the fabspeed supercups might be the only way to go for that??

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread
Old 04-26-2003, 02:00 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

Saleen Explorer,

You've got email.

Regards,
Mike
Old 04-26-2003, 03:15 PM
CjN
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by sanchez:
<strong>Greetings. I own an air cooled 911, but a friend of mine needs some info on TechArt mufflers he is installing on his 2000 996 The big question is: any real improvement other than sound? Should his swap include headers? Also, can you recommend an "cold-air" intake system that will work with his Strosek rear wing?

TODDs</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I have the Techart mufflers on my 2002 C4S, they claim a 5-10 hp increase but its nothing you could really feel. I'm pretty sure I have the touring version (i bought them used on ebay) and the sound is deeper and louder than stock but not really aggressively so. The good thing is that there is no resonance whatsoever. The mufflers themselves are very solid and well built, I was told by Techart that they are manufactured by the same company in Germany that makes the porsche factory exhausts. They look very similar to factory on the exterior.

I'm in Boca also, let me know if you want to hear them in person...

Chris
Old 04-27-2003, 01:47 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cjn,

you were the one who outbid me on those techart mufflers! I think I saw these a few months back on ebay they had the tips cut off right?

Just kidding...you got a good deal on those, I was interested in them but wanted the racing version which has no baffles.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:50 PM
CjN
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ruey220:
<strong>Cjn,

you were the one who outbid me on those techart mufflers! I think I saw these a few months back on ebay they had the tips cut off right?

It must have been a different auction, I was the only bidder on these! Got them for $499, no tips (I have my own quad style).

Just kidding...you got a good deal on those, I was interested in them but wanted the racing version which has no baffles.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Is the racing version even available here? I spoke to a distributor here in Fla and they said they only offered one type in the states (touring), alothough Techart is working on a version specifically for the '02 and up cars that would be louder.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:59 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

CJN,

I dunno if its available here, I usually get my parts directly from Europe as its cheaper there.

Here's the part number for racing version

Quick Reply: TechArt mufflers