996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Completely Addicted - New Member with Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris: Great story... I bought my car from Gianni at the same dealership... Your story brought great memories of when I did the same thing through Topanga Canyon, testing new Porsches. Which BTW it was also my first time driving a Porsche. Looks like Gianni uses the same sales pitch all the time, very effective!

Cheers and enjoy your ride! Hopefully you can join us on a ride through the canyons soon!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never never go over 4K untill the needle is right of the 180.......drive like a grandpa...because when I was 18yr old and stupid I blew the head gasket "trying" to be cool and reve the engine while cold....the car was never the same again. And it takes only about 5 minutes and about 6 miles for the engine to be ready....
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
never never go over 4K untill the needle is right of the 180.......drive like a grandpa...because when I was 18yr old and stupid I blew the head gasket "trying" to be cool and reve the engine while cold....the car was never the same again. And it takes only about 5 minutes and about 6 miles for the engine to be ready....

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Chris 996; 01-25-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast40th
Chris: Great story... I bought my car from Gianni at the same dealership... Your story brought great memories of when I did the same thing through Topanga Canyon, testing new Porsches. Which BTW it was also my first time driving a Porsche. Looks like Gianni uses the same sales pitch all the time, very effective!

Cheers and enjoy your ride! Hopefully you can join us on a ride through the canyons soon!

Thank you. When is your next ride through the canyons?

Last edited by Chris 996; 01-25-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris 996
Thank you. When is your next ride through the canyons?
Chris: I was out in the canyons for several hours last weekend enjoying the amazing weather we are experiencing in SoCal. I'll keep you posted on my next run. In the meantime how about you try this route for kicks this weekend:
From PCH heading North --> RIGHT on Topanga Canyon --> LEFT on Old Topanga (watch your speed - bunch of driveways)--> LEFT on Mullholland Hwy --> LEFT on Stunt Rd --> RIGHT on Schueren Rd (but STOP first and check the amazing view) --> RIGHT on Piuma (love this road)--> RIGHT on Cold Canyon --> LEFT on Mulholland Hwy (watch out for COPS just before Las Virgenes) --> Continue down to PCH either by taking Encinal (for the great ocean view), or Mulholland + Decker (If feeling frisky) or Mulholland all the way (frisky with a view).

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

great story congrats!!! you're very lucky to have come across a good salesman like Gianie.. My guys wont even talk to me much less give up a test drive. Maybe bc I look younger then I am..
Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Great story. If Gianni was so good and provided such a positive experience I would think about sending him a couple hundred $$ for his time.

When I went test driving I drove a 996, 997 and then a 996TT. I missed the turnoff in the TT and so we had to turn around on the boring divided highway. Waiting to get around a slower car while merging my sales guy says "push it" so I floored it. Whooooooooooooooosh and I was pressed back in my seat. I never looked down but when we pulled off he said "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" "No" I answered sheepishly. "186kph" Well over 100mph. It was fun.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

that's a purdy car chris, welcome to the funny farm!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Chris 996
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast40th
Chris: I was out in the canyons for several hours last weekend enjoying the amazing weather we are experiencing in SoCal. I'll keep you posted on my next run. In the meantime how about you try this route for kicks this weekend:
From PCH heading North --> RIGHT on Topanga Canyon --> LEFT on Old Topanga (watch your speed - bunch of driveways)--> LEFT on Mullholland Hwy --> LEFT on Stunt Rd --> RIGHT on Schueren Rd (but STOP first and check the amazing view) --> RIGHT on Piuma (love this road)--> RIGHT on Cold Canyon --> LEFT on Mulholland Hwy (watch out for COPS just before Las Virgenes) --> Continue down to PCH either by taking Encinal (for the great ocean view), or Mulholland + Decker (If feeling frisky) or Mulholland all the way (frisky with a view).

Cheers.
Thanks, I will give it a drive.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent introduction - welcome to the board.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris 996
Thanks, I will give it a drive.
Great!

I'll be taking that route on Sunday morning with the family (i.e. very easy), for our weekly spiritual experience . And I'll keep my eyes looking for a very cool cab smoking around there

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Great story. If Gianni was so good and provided such a positive experience I would think about sending him a couple hundred $$ for his time.

When I went test driving I drove a 996, 997 and then a 996TT. I missed the turnoff in the TT and so we had to turn around on the boring divided highway. Waiting to get around a slower car while merging my sales guy says "push it" so I floored it. Whooooooooooooooosh and I was pressed back in my seat. I never looked down but when we pulled off he said "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" "No" I answered sheepishly. "186kph" Well over 100mph. It was fun.

Thanks. I offered and that's why we ended up at the restaurant for Dinner and a few drinks.

I think Gianni has one of the best jobs in the world. The way he takes his clients on the Test drives, he gets his fill of adrenaline a few times a day.

Quick Reply: Completely Addicted - New Member with Story