Sponsored by:

EIGHTY FOUR "84" 996 Engine Replacements Due to NON-RMS Related Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob, here's the quote from Porsche's website :

"Dealers' deliveries of the 911 worldwide in the review year totaled 29,545 units, 21 percent more than in the 2003/04 fiscal year."

They are referencing the 2004/2005 model year. I just extrapolated backwards (and yes, I know that last year's figure is implicitly stated as 24k given the growth rate). I know it is crap science and stat to do so, but as I mentioned, I was just way to lazy to look up the historical data. Even using only 29,545 units, your percentage is still only 2.8% for once year (and that's using your figure times 10).

Wow, you are really thick headed about this issue. I get that you had a failure. I've had a friend struck by lightning while he was sailing, too. That doesn't mean I'm not going sailing any more. You follow?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Wow, you are really thick headed about this issue. I get that you had a failure. I've had a friend struck by lightning while he was sailing, too. That doesn't mean I'm not going sailing any more. You follow?
Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't follow.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
As a stats professor myself, I find your reserch offensive and ignorant. If you were one of my students you would have received a F had you turned this in as your final paper. One last thing, you need to quit referring to it as statistical evidence and instead call it what it is.......anecdotal evidence. There is ONLY one place you are going to be able to obtain statistical evidence and that is house in a vault at PCNA and PAG. Scanning forums where people come to chat or bitch is not going to help back your claim.
I agree with Dell

Bob, sorry for your problems. However, it seems very clear to me that your true motive it to extract revenge on Porsche. When this thread dies, will you open yet another thread??

Since you like "statistics" what percentage of your posts on this board have been negative?? Just curious....
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This _has_ got to be the funniest thread I've read since the "I'm putting a V8 in my 911" days!

P.S. What ever happened to that V8 guy, I think his name was George?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good ole' curious George - I think he got banned.

Bob sell your 996 and move on/get over it. It seems like slamming it has become an obsession with you.

If you didn't want to pay Barrier/Park Place prices on your work you could have brought it up to Roger Jobs in Bellingham. We have great service department here and the current rate is $100 an hour.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
(if I added the RMS as a reason for a replacement to the statements below, it would be too high to count..)
Since it seems he can only count to 100, maybe that is part of the problem!

j/k
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

It seems like you guy's have been hearing this from Bob forever and are just over him... All that aside...

IMHO, if PCNA knows that there are engines that have failed. If you have a failure and it is diagnosed to be a "defect" than they should stand behind the car and replace the engine even if it is past the 4year 50K miles.

I have had similar issues with Honda and Nissan and they both stepped up to the plate..

I had a Nissan pickup I bought new and it for some reason started to leak oil after the warrantee was out... They tried to fix it 3 times and it still leaked... So the regional rep approved to replace the short block and the problem was solved... Not a penny out of my pocket... I had to argue to get it done.. But they did it.

I had a Acura Integra that had a tranny issue at 50K. The dealer pulled the tranny and said it had to be replaced or rebuiilt... It was always in for scheduled service. I called Honda and sent them every service record and after a week of going back and forth they replaced it at their cost...

If it is questionable whether it was abuse, that is different.. But everyone should stand behind their products... If they have had issues in the past with a certain item, they should be much more open to helping out the customer who experiences the same issue.

Oh, and when I had the problem with the Nissan, they had found record of 3 other trucks in the whole country having the leak problem and the fix was the short block... So they fixed mine.. How many Nissan pickups you think they sell in a year?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Gary, agreed one hundred percent. If you can prove that the problem is indeed genuinely Porsche's own and can produce service records detailing that you take care of the car, you might have a good shot of getting it done for free. But like Dell and others have said, when you buy used, you run the 'risk' that they may not buy your story. That's all. No one here is arguing that we wouldn't press Porsche to fix the engine for free. But, being the realists that many of us are, we might also accept the notion that Porsche says no because it's after warranty and there isn't enough proof to insinuate they PCNA and not the driver is at fault.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Bob - I for one found the quotes interesting, thanks for taking the time.

Unfortunately, dealing with 911 owners is a lot like dealing with my mom, the devout republican. Bush could send in UN helicopters to remove her forcibly from her home, and she'd say "he must've had a good reason, he's a great man."

I'm a little disturbed by the quotes, the number sounds pretty high, but I'm gonna keep doing what I always do - wind that morot to 7000 rpm and smile like a little kid.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob's analysis reminds me of a genetics study conducted in Scottish prisons. An outcome showed that most of the prisoners posses an extra Y chromosome. The flawed conclusion stated that men with an extra Y chromosomes are more prone to violent crimes, etc.
What's flawed Bob is your sampled population. The time you wasted and result received is equivalent to walking into an unemployment office counting the people in the room and then trying to determine what percentage of US population is unemployed....
Give it a rest. Let people do their own DD, if you're so unhappy sell the car and buy a nice Camry
Old 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eli K
Bob's analysis reminds me of a genetics study conducted in US prisons. An outcome showed that most of the prisoners posses XX chromosome. The flawed outcome stated that people with XX chromosomes are more prone to violent crimes, etc.
So women are more violent?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

can't remember now...it was something to that extent...a popular study. I'll try to google it and post a link...
Old 01-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Here's something similar

http://www.bookrags.com/sciences/gen...hesis-wog.html
Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

XX=Female
XY=Male
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Damn it! I knew the girl from last night sounded a little hoarse...

Quick Reply: EIGHTY FOUR "84" 996 Engine Replacements Due to NON-RMS Related Issues